Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Reading



At the beginning of the summer I made a reading list for myself. I have not read as much as I wanted to by this time, but I am not doing too shabby. I read a Liz George book years ago that spoke to the problem that mothers of young children have reading. She said to read on the subjects of marriage and mothering for 5 minutes a day and that you would be surprised by how much reading can get done. That bit of practical advise has been very fruitful in my life. I have taken that principle and done so with other subjects outside of marriage and mothering. I have been able to work through some systematic theology books, history books, books on biblical womanhood, biblical counseling, spiritual disciplines, the gospel, evangelism, and hospitality.

I recently noticed that I have been reading less and less outside of my normal Bible reading and decided that it was time to start over again at the 5 minutes a day. What helps me is deciding what I want to read, make a list, get the books and put them in an accessible place; usually in a pile by my bed.

So here is my current list that I plan on getting through this summer.

Cross Talk by Michael Emlet - This is the book the women at our church plan on discussing in August.

A Life That Says Welcome by Karen Ehman.

A Sweet and Bitter Providence by John Piper.

The Power of Words and the Wonder of God
by John Piper, Justin Taylor and various contributors.

The Faithful Parent by Martha Peace and Stuart Scott.

Womanly Dominion by Mark Chanski.

Gospel-Powered Parenting
by William P. Farley.

When Sinners Say I Do by Dave Harvey.

I have read the first three on this list so far. We shall see how far I get before the summer is over. Maybe between changing diapers, story times, backyard baseball games, math lessons, meetings, and Bible study, I will also get a chance to write some reflections on what I have read.

What are you reading this summer?

4 comments:

Brad said...

Piper's book on Ruth is excellent. Good selection!

Brad

Kendal said...

I would really like to read some of those books you listed as well. I will have to get through the current ones before I add anymore to the mix!

Shepherding a Child's Heart
The Excellent Wife (done)
Cross Talk
Reforming Marriage

Nichole Henry said...

Jasmine, I've been wanting to read Piper's book on Ruth, you'll have to pass that on when you're finished with it!

Jasmine Aldrich said...

Nichole, just remind me to give you the book because I am finished reading it.

Kendal, those are all great books! Thanks to you, I am almost through The Excellent Wife again. The other books are worth rereading too.

Brad, I really enjoyed A Sweet and Bitter Providence. It opened my eyes to some wonderful truth I had never gotten out of the story of Ruth before.