Thursday, July 22, 2010

Mexico blog part 4

The past few days have been a flurry of activity! Wednesday was spent at the beach [again :)], mostly at Puerto Angel. I was taken aback by the number of vendors at the beach..most of which were children. Esme and I noticed that, generally, mothers made products and sent their sons and daughters (as young as about, I would guess, 4 years old) to sell them to beach-goers. Today also, in Oaxaca (the city) we saw small children selling things in the streets to foreigners, audaciously walking up to anyone and everyone with their goods. I am reminded of my first trip to central America, where I remember children being forced to grow up very quickly. Esme asked me if I ever wonder about how God in His sovereignty placed me where He did in the world, and the truth is, I do think about that all the time. It is a wonder to me that I was born in the United States, with the family, socioeconomic status, and educational opportunities that I have.

I know that God is infinitely wise, and I do not question His sovereignty, but I am challenged when I consider this. What am I doing with the things God has given me? Am I using these things in my life for the gospel? How so?

On a different note, we are in Oaxaca for the next few days...I am so excited to see some Zapotec ruins tomorrow. If you know me, you know I am pretty nerdy about antiquities, especially mesoamerican history, so this is a big deal. I hope to be posting pictures of it tomorrow night, Lord willing. I can't believe we've been here for almost a week!

Thank you for your prayers!

No comments: