Monday, July 26, 2010

My thoughts on Psalm 34

I enjoy reading Psalm 34, its one of my favorites.

In verse 4 it says:"I sought the Lord, and He answered me, and delivered me from all my fears". Verse 6 thru 10 say: "This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him and saved him out of all his troubles. The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear Him, and rescues them. O taste and see that the Lord is good; how blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him! O fear the Lord, you His saints; for to those who fear Him there is no want. The young lions do lack and suffer hunger; but they who seek the Lord shall not be in want of any good thing". Then verses 15 thru 22 go on to say: "The eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous and His ears are open to their cry. The face of the Lord is against evildoers, to cut off the memory of them from the earth. The righteous cry, and the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. The Lord is near to the broken hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all. He keeps all his bones, not one of them is broken. Evil shall slay the wicked, and those who hate the righteous will be condemned. The Lord redeems the soul of His servants, and none of those who take refuge in Him will be condemned".

These words and promises from the Lord help me to put my focus back on Him when I feel overwhelmed by the troubles of life and as I see the world become more chaotic every day. It seems from my vantage point, that almost every day there is some kind of natural disaster. Just last night, we had a line of storms come through our area that released 7 1/2 inches of rain in a 2 hour time period. The weatherman even commented that a storm like that one was a "once in a hundred year event" and its happened 3 times already this summer! Earthquakes are not even front page news anymore since they are happening so often. I also feel afraid to watch a world news program because it just reinforces the chaotic mess in the world, especially in the Middle East.

But, when I read this Psalm, I realize that I don't have to be afraid because no matter what, God will deliver me. Hard times and persecution may be on the horizon, but if I "keep my eyes on the prize" I can know that ultimately God will bring me home safe and I will live with Him forever!

1 comment:

Kim Henry said...

Thanks Karen. This is one of my favorite Psalms too. Since David's time this Psalm has given people much comfort and hope. God is so good to remind of His great love for us, how He always hears us, and cares for us. He also reminds us of what He expects from us. He gives us so many reasons to praise Him, and be glad that He is our God.