Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mexico blog part 3

Dear friends,

We have spent the last two days in Huatulco, Oaxaca. It is a beautiful city: it reminds me of Florida, actually. We were on the road for about 11 hours total yesterday, and called it an early night. This morning, we were able to sleep in for the first time so far (a necessary thing for a late riser like myself!), and went on a boating trip, which lasted all day. We stopped at a few hidden private beaches for a few hours, which was amazing! Esme and I could not stop saying "This is so awesome!".

At the beach, we spent our time in the water just riding the waves as they came into shore. They were so powerful, even in such shallow water, that I did think about the power of the ocean in general. What a mighty God I am so privileged to serve, that spoke such a thing into existence!

All this beach time has also brought to my attention another issue that has been well addressed at our church: modesty. There is really no sense of it down here, neither in dress nor in action. I know the issue of modesty is a sensitive subject for women in the States, but it is an even bigger obstacle for female believers in hot climates. I was a bit perplexed on how to pack for the beach last week, so I ended up bringing a suit with something to wear over it. I have to admit, I feel a bit foolish in my tank top over my suit compared to women in their bikinis. However, I have to remember that reflecting the gospel can make you look foolish! Don't be discouraged, young women, about modest dress because it is far more important to reflect Christ in every aspect of our lives!

Once again, I have to say that I feel so blessed to be here. This has been a huge privilege for me, and I cannot thank Esme and her family enough for letting me tag along. We have been taking many pictures, so they will be posted as soon as possible! Thank you for your prayers!

1 comment:

Jasmine Aldrich said...

I am enjoying reading your posts. I am so glad your trip is going well and that you are seeing much of God's wonder and Power displayed through His creation.

I think we often neglect to see that how we dress reflects the gospel. Thank you for the reminder that modesty is about reflecting Christ.

1 Timothy 2:9-10 Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments,

but rather by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness.