Monday, December 21, 2009

Keep Christ in Christmas

 

Where has the time gone?  Its hard to believe that its already Christmastime!

Christmas has always been a happy time of year for me.  I enjoy looking at Christmas lights and watching Christmas movies on TV and hearing Christmas carols.  Our family usually gets together and we have a fun day of games and special food.

This year is going to be very different.  First, my son Daniel and his family will not be able to be here this year.  I believe that this Christmas is the first year that I will not spend with him since he was born in 1983.  Second, my Dad is spending Christmas with Jesus in Heaven this year.  I know he is completely happy, but I will really miss him.

I have been thinking a lot this year about what will be missing but the Lord has shown me that I need to dwell on the real meaning of Christmas instead. 

Christmas isn't about Santa, trees, lights and movies. Its not about presents.  It isn't really about families getting together and having fun and good food either.  Christmas is a day to remember that Jesus came to earth as a little, helpless baby.  He was born in a stable, not in a nice, clean hospital room with all of the modern conveniences.  His ultimate reason for coming was to die a horrible death on a wooden cross, to pay the penalty for our sins, so that we could have a relationship with Him.  That is real love.

So, this Christmas I urge you to take some time to reflect on Jesus and how much He loves us.  That is what Christmas is all about.


No comments: