Thursday, December 10, 2009

Heavy Thoughts... or not

I don't know about you ladies, but life seems like it will never settle down. It seems like we are always on the go, with one thing after another happening and always there is something looming over the horizon, just ready to add to the mix, or mix up the momentary calm that we may be enjoying. How easy it is to say to myself "after we finish... we'll ... " (fill in the blanks for yourself). Perhaps it's just because I'm a woman, but it seems like I'm constantly planning things and processing information. Does "chicken with her head cut off" sound familiar?

So I am purposing to remind myself that this is all temporary. For example: the current "crisis" is getting our new house ready for us to move in by January 30th. Here's how this "reminding" sounds in my head. I am busily thinking, planning, coordinating EVERY potential project, hurdle and solution in my mind but then I stop. I think to myself, "Jesus could return tonight." Wow. Then I purposely stew on that for awhile. "If Jesus were to return tonight, I would get to see Him face to face. He would have a place for me prepared in Heaven and all of the planning, preparations, etc. here on earth (on my part) would now be at an end. He would take me, Ryan, my boys, my mom and all of us believers to be with Him. We would be with Jesus. That is VERY GOOD." Thinking on this calms me. It helps me to realize that I am given only today... right now, this moment.

I carry the weight of "my world" on my shoulders (or so it feels sometimes) but Jesus hasn't given me that load. It is a load that I fabricate in my own mind and chose to enslave myself to. Jesus has given me today to worship Him and to live by faith in Him. Jesus said that His burden is not heavy but rather His load is lite. What a relief to remember that because Jesus is my Lord, I am free from the heavy burden of sin, from the cares of this world/age, and free to live in the joy of loving Jesus and loving others for Jesus' sake. And when I start to pick up that load of care that I had previously laid at Jesus' feet, I am reminded to "cast all my cares upon Him for He cares for me..." Today is a gift from God given to show others how wonderful Jesus is. I can but pray that I will use the time radiantly... for His glory!

No comments: