Thursday, September 18, 2008

Providence is a Soft Pillow for Anxious Heads

Most of us get anxious at some time or another. The good, bad, and ugly experiences of life are a constant reminder that though we want to be in control of all aspects of our lives, we simply aren’t. We forget God’s providence and resort to worry and wonder. I’m quite often willing and ready to utter that God is in control of all things, but not always willing to live in light of that truth.

The Puritans said "providence is a soft pillow for anxious heads." Every night you lay your head on your pillow. But if your soul is weary, rest on the knowledge that he has ordained all of your days, the short or long, the rich or poor, the sad or happy, were all designed for his good and perfect purpose.

Andrew Murray put it this way: “I am here by his appointment, I am here by his keeping, I am here for his training, and I am here for his time.”

John Calvin said: “Ignorance of providence is the ultimate of all miseries. The highest blessedness lies in the knowledge of it.”

David in Psalms 31:14 says “My times are in God’s hands.”

No comments: