Friday, May 9, 2008

Moms, mom, and a mother…

In honor of Mother’s Day, I would like to share some heartfelt memories and appreciations of some of the moms in my life as well as some of my own joys of motherhood.



I'll start with my memories…

Firstly, my mom (Susan) came to Christ about 6-7 years ago and ever since she is always trying to focus her mind all the more on Christ. She is currently living with my family. She loves to help us through encouragement, generosity, supporting us as parents, and especially through prayer, prayer, and more prayer. She is a huge blessing to me.


Secondly, my mom-in-law is my friend and a really fun person to be with. Ruth has loved me like a mom ever since I married her youngest son. She welcomed me with open arms into her life and heart. She is spunky and we laugh a lot together… especially at scrapbooking weekend getaways!


Thirdly, my step-mom Becky… we’ve had some hard times, but I remember how special she made me feel at an awkward age. I was 13 years old and had just started menstrating for the first time. As the youngest of 4 girls (plus 1 older brother), I was sort of overlooked in this new “adventure”. Becky said that since I was now a woman she would take me for a day of woman pampering. We went to the local cosmetology college and got our hair cut and styled, a facial and a manicure… because we were “women!” I always smile when I think of that great day we had together and her kindness in making a curse into a blessing for a day!


Lastly, my foster mom… Sherry. She was warm and stable when my life seemed to be in much upheaval. She affectionately called me Sue-Sue. I remember how she always sang so beautifully. She died a few years back and was very lovingly remembered by all who knew her.


I'll finish with my own joys of motherhood....

Now that I’m a mom of 3 boys, I can better appreciate the care and love that was shown to me by my “moms”. However, I have to say that I think it’s easier to for me to be a mom than it was for me to be a kid. The biggest difference is that I didn’t have Jesus when I was a kid, but now I do, so life is filled with joys that even childhood couldn’t begin to compare with. I have such joy in knowing Jesus and telling my boys about Him. I have such joy in seeing God at work in my home life and my boys’ lives. I am filled with hope for the future as I see God’s word producing fruit in my children’s lives and as my children are used to teach me more about God! I praise God for His Holy Spirit’s guidance of my husband and I in the raising of our boys, as well as for bringing godly men and women to us to teach us about parenting when our oldest was still a baby! Motherhood has been a blessing from God because of how it brings me back to God. I am so thankful to be a mom and for my moms. Happy Mother’s Day Moms!