Friday, May 16, 2008

Decisions, Decisions...

I have given much thought to decisions of late. Specifically, my thoughts have returned to the finality of a decision made. We make decisions all day long, often without putting much (if any) thought into them; yet once I have made a decision (whether in thought or in deed), that decision is done, gone. Whether good or bad, I cannot take back my decision. I cannot make it better or fix it or redeem it. A decision made leaves no room for undoing but only for consequences… and generally our consequences will be reflective of the quality of our decision. If I make a bad decision it will bring bad consequences. If I make a good decision, it will bring good consequences. Sometimes the discernable consequences for a good or bad decision will be the beginning of a newly formed habit (either good or bad). As such, tomorrow it will only be easier to walk in the same path that I walked in the day before, whether it is one of disobedience or faithfulness.

Now, that is not to say that we can always judge the quality of the consequences by our own standards. We must hold up God’s word as truth and judge our consequences or results by what God says is good. If I choose to honor God through obedience, but am treated badly by others because of it, one could wrongfully say that the consequences didn’t match the decision (bad consequences for a good decision). However, God says in His word that we are actually blessed when we are persecuted for the sake of Christ and will be rewarded greatly in Heaven. The long term consequences may not be discernable to us for many years to come or not even until we enter into eternity with our Lord. But I think it would be much more honoring to God if we took a good hard look at the things we think about and do (both of which are decisions we make) and examine them to see what is motivating them and where they will lead us.


God can and does save us from our sin and the ultimate consequence of death and hell for all who have believed in the saving work of Jesus on the cross, but He also will faithfully discipline us for our daily sin (in order to make us holy) and bless us for our faith-filled obedience. However, every time I decide to believe a lie of Satan (and this perishing world), my attitude and actions will reflect and react to that false belief (the root decision). So I am challenged to really examine my belief system, and the resulting thoughts, attitudes, and actions. This is the only way that I can “redeem the time.” For, though Christ has redeemed us from our sins and our slavery to sin, He has graciously left us the earthly (temporal) consequences of them, so that we may learn to stop walking in them (our sins) and rather turn to Him in faith filled obedience… moment by moment, decision by decision… for His glory.