Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Dressing to Adorn the Gospel - Pt 1

This time of year brings me thoughts about how I dress more than any other time. This is because this is the time of year where bikinis, shorts, and skimpy shirts are the norm. As someone set apart by the grace of God through Jesus, I need to ask myself, do I adorn the gospel in my life? In particular, does this affect how I dress? If all things are to be done for the glory of God, does that include putting on a shirt? I think so. I admit that there are times, much to my shame, that I give very little, if any, thought to God when I pick out my clothes. This is why I am writing this post. I want to remind myself of some of the things I learned when my pastor preached on modesty a year ago. If you would like to hear the sermon for yourself, it is on sermon audio.

In our pastor’s sermon, we learned that the way we adorn ourselves is a reflection of the heart. Dressing modestly springs from a heart of humility and a desire to serve others. I understand that some who dress modestly may be motivated by spiritual pride, but that doesn't excuse us from obeying our Lord. As those who follow Jesus, we dress modestly because we are commanded to. We honor God in obeying so I think dressing properly can reflect a love for God and the Gospel. We were challenged to serve our brothers in Christ by dressing modestly. We saw in the sermon that we have the ability to help them in their battle against lust. As fellow soldiers in the battle against sin, we ought to delight in doing whatever we can to help.

The men were pled with to protect their wives and daughters. Protecting them from other men devouring them with their eyes was one thing in particular that was mentioned. A great point! I know that some may be put off by the fact that it seemed to be more about protecting men that have no control over themselves while putting all the blame on us women, but I didn't take it that way. Even if that were true, the first and last sermon in the series will help in understanding that we do need to put others first and serve them. This includes serving brothers in Christ, by dressing modestly. We should desire their good and the good of the church as whole. It was also mentioned that, of course, there are those who will lust anyway. There are those who are looking to see things they ought not see. So let's not give them anything to see!

We must understand that we are in a battle against those that desire our harm and desire to dishonor us as women by looking at things they shouldn't. We cannot do battle by giving them what they want. Ladies, let's battle by dressing in a pure and God honoring way. We need a Christ centered mindset in order to do this. If indeed, we love the One, Jesus, who loved us and gave Himself for us, we want to display His glory, grace, compassion, and holiness in all we say, do, and put on.

On Thursday we will discuss the dangers we put ourselves in, when not dressing modestly.