Monday, November 30, 2009

Surviving the holidays

Every year I get a reminder article from the Fibromyalgia Network on how to survive the Holiday season.  They give some suggestions that I think are good for every woman, not just women with Fibro.

 

First, they recommend that you don't overextend yourself.  There are lots of places to go and people to see during this season.  But, taking time with your kids and your husband are important.  Memories are made when we spend quality time together.  Family traditions are made when we spend this quality time together.  One tradition our family had was to play Risk while eating different kinds of finger sandwiches and Christmas cookies on Christmas Eve.  The game would go on for hours, but everyone had a good time.

 

Another recommendation is to take time for yourself.  When things get wild, we should take a moment, or even a bit longer, and go off by our selves and just unwind.  I know how it is when there is a holiday party and after awhile the noise gets overwhelming.  It is OK to take a little break.  Sometimes when I get overwhelmed and I'm not at my home, I just go in another room and sit alone for a bit. If I am home, I usually go in my bedroom and close the door and just pray or relax for a few minutes.  I feel refreshed and ready to go again after a short break from the action.

 

One other recommendation is to keep it simple.  They recommend not to stress over the house being spotless when you are expecting a visit.  I think its always good to try and make the area where you will be spending time free of clutter and maybe sweep or mop the floor if it needs it.  Remember that people are coming to see you, not your spick-'n span house.  As far as having friends for dinner, keep it simple.  You don't need turkey and all the trimmings (unless it is Thanksgiving??).  Check your recipes and see if there is anything you could make ahead and then just pop in the oven.  Is there anything  you could microwave?  Pot lucks are always a good idea too. 

 

I think it is most important to remember what we are celebrating at Christmas time.  It is Jesus our Savior.  Its not about spending a lot of money on toys or expensive gifts.  Christmas has become so commercialized over the years.  Everywhere you go there are displays of items that entice you to buy them.  TV commercials are flooding our minds with "big sales". 

 

I think the best Christmas gift we can give anyone is something from the heart.  Maybe something homemade, or a gift of time, or just spending time with people.  I think we need to just keep Jesus on our mind and use any opportunity to tell someone about Jesus and His work on the cross.

 

Like the saying goes:   Jesus is the reason for the season.

No comments: