Monday, November 9, 2009

Moms are important

 

I'm reading through Titus right now and I have been meditating on the second chapter for the past two days. 
 
In the chapter, God tells us how to conduct ourselves so that we can be witnesses for the Gospel.  I have been challenged to take a look at my life and really think about how others perceive me.  Do I show that I have different values than non-believers?  Do I handle situations that come up in a way that shows others that I am trusting in the Lord, instead of wringing my hands and getting upset and angry or agitated?
 
I was also challenged by verses 3-5, where God tells older women how to act.  God says I am to be reverent in my behavior, not a malicious gossip or enslaved by to much wine.  I am to teach what is good so that I can be an encouragement to young women.  I need to show them by example to love their husbands and kids and to be pure, workers at home, kind and subject to their husbands so that the word of God will not be dishonored.
 
I can relate to younger women who may be stay-at-home moms but hear the "world" telling them to get a job and "succeed" in what they want to do rather than just stay home with the kids.  The "world" does not appreciate the great work a mother does when she is home with her kids and is diligent to bring them up in a godly manner.  Children are a big responsibility and God is pleased when a mom takes that responsibility seriously.  I believe that our world is worse off because some moms have bought into the lie and sought their own satisfaction, leaving their children to be raised by strangers with non-christian values.
 
I firmly believe that children would rather have the care and affection of their parents than things.  I hear of many kids who are given expensive toys but are very unhappy because their parents are always working instead of spending time with them.  I realize that in this economy, being a stay-at-home mom may not be an option.  But I think that there is a difference that a child can understand between working as a need and working just because the parent doesn't want to be home with their kids. 
 
I agree with the past posts about making an inviting, happy home for our kids.  It is so important for kids to know that home is a good place where they are loved and accepted.  Home should be home....a "foreshadowing" of our home in Heaven.  Won't it be great when we are finally home with Jesus??  I am looking forward to that day!!!


No comments: