Friday, November 27, 2009

Still, My Soul, Be Still


Still, my soul, be still
And do not fear,
Though winds of change may rage tomorrow
God is at your side
No longer dread
The fires of unexpected sorrow

God, you are my God
And I will trust in you and not be shaken
Lord of peace, renew
A steadfast spirit within me
To rest in you alone

Still, my soul, be still
Do not be moved
By lesser lights and fleeting shadows
Hold on to His ways
With shield of faith
Against temptations flaming arrows

Still, my soul, be still
Do not forsake
The truth you learned in the beginning
Wait upon the Lord
And hope will rise
As stars appear when day is dimming

"Still, my soul, be still" has become an oft repeated phrase in my life. I say it to myself over and over, many times a day. There is some traffic on the highway and I start to freak out? Still, my soul, be still. God is in control. Someone says something that makes me angry? Still, my soul, be still. Do not overreact or react in undue anger. Love others more than yourself. I'm driving home in the dark (after driving to work in the dark) and depression starts to weigh in on my mind? Still, my soul, be still. You have much to be thankful for!
The examples could go on and on and be much more specific or even more general. The other day I was in a taxi in downtown Chicago and seriously thought that perhaps I would not live. Still, my soul, be still. You are ready to go home. God is in control. And I calmed down...

This song is beautiful and it covers it all: change, sorrow, temptation, uncertainty. And it concludes with an awesome reminder: do not forget what you have learned. Do not walk away from what you know to be true. Instead, cling to what you know. Persevere. Trust in the Lord.

"God, you are my God. And I will trust in you and not be shaken."

Amen

1 comment:

Karen Seiders said...

I will remember to tell myself "still, my soul, be still"
from now on. There is so much in my life that upsets me, but I need to just be still before God and trust that He will take care of me.

Thanks for a great post!