Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Is Your Home an Attractive Place To Be? pt 3

A family that prays together, stays together. Isn't that how the staying goes? Ha ha! I once heard, "the family who kicks together, sticks together." That was from a family who took karate classes together.

As families, our lives center around something. Think about it. Football, baseball, (Brewers only of course:), video games, board games, reading, etc........ We have things we share. Whatever it is, they are usually things that matter to us. Our kids learn to value it and our homes become, in a sense, defined by it. They can be good things or bad things. We can have families that are miserable. You know the type. Perhaps you are one, or have had to be a part of one. Some families share the motto "misery loves company." Their lives center around complaining and self-centeredness. We could say, "the family who complains together, breeds disdain together." I've seen it, and it is anything but an attractive home. The parents and the kids have a persecution complex (a phrase, I've heard Rick use), where they see most people as the enemy. Someone is always out to get them and harm them. People are seen as beneath them in some way and the whole family becomes a bunch of whiners, complainers and nay sayers! This is a bit of a rant I guess! Because I have seen it happen, and I want to guard myself and my family against it.

As I consider whether my home is attractive or not, I need to examine what defines my home. What is something that we share as a family? Does it center on the Brewers? Academic achievement? CYC? Little League? Ballet? Complaining? Video games? Television shows? Movie Nights? ... These said "activities" (except for complaining, which is for some an activity!) all have their place - there is nothing wrong with them in and of themselves. In fact, doing activities together
generally does strengthen relationships. We see it in friendships. The more you do together and share together, usually the stronger the relationship. So feel free to do things like them as a family. But I want to examine what defines us. The general "aroma" of the home. Because I believe what our lives are centered on can make a home beautiful or ugly. If our lives are centered on Brewers games and the Brewers lose, we cease to function well as a household. When the season ends, we will have little in common and little to hold us together.

We like to watch Brewers games as a family. My kids know the players names and positions. They can even imitate batting stances! We try to go to one game during the season. We have a lot of fun talking about the games and planning times to watch them. Jackson will call his PapPap every time Prince Fielder hits a homer. This is an activity we share with each other. So what defines a "baseball" family like us, before, during, and after the season?

I hope I can say the Gospel! The question I want to ask myself, is does all my family activity together reflect that Jesus is the center of our lives? I believe that this is a heart issue, but the heart produces activity. So what are the family traditions or disciplines that keep us gospel oriented?

I hope to share these with you next week. I invite you to share the aroma of your home with me. What defines your family? What "activities" (baseball, video games, reading,board games, etc.) do you do together? What traditions or disciplines do you do as a family to keep yourselves centered on Jesus Christ?

2 comments:

Kendal said...

The first thought I had when you used the word "aroma", was pre-marital counseling with P.Matt whilst reading "Reforming Marriage" by Douglas Wilson. The first verse that D. Wilson quotes is Ephesians 5:2, “And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.” This is somewhat of a side-note of what I actually wanted to comment.

For our aroma in our home to be pleasantly sweet, we need to be a God-centered home. We need to be indulging ourselves in God’s word and treating each other as Christ would treat us. Sadly, I cannot say that we are experts at that. We have A LOT of room to grow until our home smells oh so sweet.

Although Tony and I have traditions of eating together, watching TV/movies together, and hanging out with friends together, we need to work on the God-centeredness of it all.
Personally, I want to work on reforming my marriage (pun intended, lol). As a wife, I want to be persistent to honor and respect my husband. I need to put off my selfishness. If I become more Gospel-centered, my home will become sweetly aromatic.

I have not read “Treasuring God in our Traditions” by Noel Piper, but I downloaded it for free, and plan to read it very soon. Maybe I will gain some more insight into improving the aroma of a home.

Jasmine Aldrich said...

Haha that verse and that book come to mind every time I use the word aroma! That term "aroma" became a part of my vocabulary in regards to life and the home after going through the book "Reforming Marriage" by Douglas Wilson.

Kendal, your comment is appreciated and insightful. How we communicate with each other is key.

You are going to love "Treasuring God in our Traditions", it is a much referenced book for me. She does a great job of showing us how to intentionally show our children that God is our greatest treasure.