Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Witty Wednesday

Jasmine is letting me take her Witty Wednesday this week because I had the funniest conversation with her eight year old son Jackson last Thursday and we wanted to share it with all of you!

I was at church working on some econ homework before youth group started and he saw me and asked what I was doing.
"Homework," I replied.
He laughed, "You are still in high school?" he asked, as he came closer to look at the complicated graphs and pages of calculations it took to make the graphs.
"No, I'm in college."
His eyes widened as he looked at my work, "I'm never going to college!" he declared.
For those of you who don't know me that well, I am very against people not going to college. So of course I took the opportunity to try to convince him that he should go.
"You need to go to college so that you can get a good job when you grow up. You will want to provide for your family."
Now Jackson looked really confused. "Then why are you in college. You should just let your husband provide for you!"
I couldn't help laughing. I reminded him that I didn't have a husband.
I wish you could have seen the disdain on his face when I said that. It was total indifference. "But you will." He was stating absolute fact with absolute confidence.
I tried to reason with him. "But Jackson, we don't know that for sure. I can't just sit around waiting for something that might not happen. Also, what if the Lord doesn't give me a husband until I am 35? What will I do until then?"
"No," he replied, again with absolute confidence, "Because your father will see that you do not have a husband and he will find a man and say, 'Here, marry my daughter and provide for her!'"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These Aldrich boy gems are a hoot! I am glad they are on this blog and Xanga so that they are safe for posterity! :)