Thursday, October 9, 2008

Happy Anniversary Rick!

Today Rick and I are rejoicing in the Lord for 9 years of marriage... that's right, today is our anniversary. The past 9 years have brought many changes, joys, and trials. All have strengthened our faith in our great God, and been a testimony that Jesus truly is the One who has been the beginning, center and continuing uniter in our marriage. We have been asked if we have something that we "do" together that keeps us close, and honestly Rick is a busy guy, there isn't a whole lot that we do activity wise together. We have no set date nights... we try. We have no set family night... ideal, but doesn't fit in the schedule to well ( we do what we can, as often as we can, as time will allow). But we have Jesus and we have His body and we are devoted to them together because we cannot separate Jesus from His body, the Church. And, folks our marriage has thrived without consistent date nights and family outings . Notice I said thrived, not survived. We are not in survival mode. Our marriage is growing and we have nothing to boast in but God! We have wept together, laughed, prayed, and struggled; not alone, but together with God. I say all this to encourage those who think family life must be structured a certain way. It does need to be structured around Jesus and according to His word, not man made rules and expectations. I have to remind myself of that. So, if your husband wants to do something for sake of Jesus Christ that will take him away from home a little more, take a leap of faith with him, join him and journey together. I want to give 9 things that I have observed about my husband that I am growing to appreciate, respect and see as the important stuff that causes our family to thrive. The limit of 9 is to commemorate the 9 years we have been together.

1. It is obvious to me and our children that he loves and follows Jesus.

2. He loves me without expectations for me to change or respond to him in certain ways.

3. He doesn't just teach the Bible to me and the children, it actually affects his decisions, actions and attitudes.

4. I have seen him weep and pray over Gods' people with glorious hope; rather than anger and bitterness.

5. He is quick to observe Gods' grace in people, he sees their strengths and does not define them by their weaknesses. He tells me if an elder does define someone exclusively by there weaknesses it is destructive not only to that person, but to the elder.

6. He has consistently proven he will do hard things, if he deems it God glorifying. Such as, moving in all your in-laws, bringing rebellious teens in the home, working three jobs to make ends meet, going back to school to finish his Masters for the sake of becoming a more equipped shepherd.

7.He is extremely self-critical, which means he is very approachable and willing to hear a person out.

8. He is slow to speak and quick to listen.

9. He hates his sin and is longing to be holy.

All this by God's grace has been the big factors in having a thriving family; not date nights and family outings!

I love you babe, thank you for loving me. Happy Anniversary!

No comments: