Thursday, October 23, 2008

True Woman Conference Reflection Pt.4

Today we are going to hear from our good friend, Linda Cate.


Initially, the True Woman 2008 conference appealed to me because of the fantastic line-up of speakers and worship leaders. Even more, I was hungry for fellowship with ladies from our own body at Temple. Because I work, it is difficult to participate in prayer groups or Bible studies during the day. Because I teach Sunday School, I am not able to connect and get to know better others in the body as much as I would like.

What the conference delivered was far beyond what I dreamed, the result of many months of hard work and even harder prayer over every detail and preparation of the speakers and the attendees alike. It was truly encouraging, enlightening and inspiring, BUT-it was not all “pretty”. We learned some chilling statistics that both shocked and stirred my soul. What I’d like to focus on today is largely taken from Nancy Leigh DeMoss’s final words or charge to us, based on the book of Esther and the theme of the conference: “Who knows whether you have come to the kingdom for such a time as this?” (4:14) I do want to warn you that there are some disturbing and graphic realities that I will share.

We are in a battle, a horrible, bloody battle where the future of Christianity in the lives of our children and our children’s children is at stake. The history lesson we had regarding the development and growth of the feminist movement opened my eyes to depths of depravity to which young women of today, in the name of independence and “equality” with men, have plunged. We have all seen news coverage of girls beating up girls, attacking others on school buses, and have heard reports of meaningless sex being initiated at younger and younger ages. “Think it’s 5th grade nowadays? Think again: 2nd grade” (per True Woman video). I had no idea (and frankly, to my shame, I did not want to know) of the degree to which harassment, sexual abuse (by students to students), and peer pressure is victimizing our young people. Do these words of a FIRST GRADER scare you? “I have sex with my pillow at night”. I now know a fear for my grandchildren that I never knew before.

The battle we face, is, of course, spiritual. The spiritual weapons we have and NEED TO USE include fervent and persistent prayer, fasting, reliance on God, humility. As Nancy said, “We are not a people of humility before God because we are not yet desperate enough.” This information has more than made me desperate enough to get down on my knees and cry out to God, not only for my grandchildren but for all of God’s kingdom. Esther and her people fasted and prayed for three days before she came before the king. She put her life on the line in order to plead her case: “If I perish, I perish.” (4:16)

Am I willing to perish for the sake of God’s kingdom and His glory? Am I willing for my children to perish that He may be glorified? Oh, God, may it be so! Can I say, “Yes, Lord” to endless suffering, endless struggling with my sin and this world, and “No” to self, pride, bitterness, complaining, whining, resisting, resenting the will of God for my life, for His glory?

There is no situation so desperate that God cannot redeem it! Do not judge the outcome of the battle by the way things look now. We may suffer for the moment. Things may look desperate for the moment. Our faithful, supreme God has a sovereign, redemptive plan that will not fail! Through our faith and obedience, we women can be part of God’s plan. Let us remember our children and our children’s children. Let us proclaim to them the gospel of Jesus Christ. Let us make Christ known to them by our delight in Him. May others say, “I see Jesus” when they see how we relate to our husbands. And may we, like Mary, say, “I am the Lord’s servant. May it be to me as You have said.” (Luke 1:38) “Yes, Lord.” May it be so. Amen.

No comments: