Friday, March 5, 2010

Sarahs children

Continuing my thoughts on marriage... in 1 Peter 3:1-6 God tells us wives: "Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, when they see your respectful and pure conduct. Do not let your adorning be external- the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear- but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands, as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord. And you are her children, if you do good and do not fear anything that is frightening.

I have been thinking about vs. 6 lately... especially how it says that we will be Sarah's children if we do good and don't fear anything frightening. I have heard different versions of this that say things like "don't fear anthing fearful" or "don't fear what the world fears". It was that last phrase that really got me thinking. What is it that the world fears? For my part, I see (and feel!) that the "world" (especially women) fear not being beautiful enough, not being sexy enough, betrayal, unhappiness, having problems with their children, being alone, being unappreciated, being unable to express themselves, being unhonored and disrespected, etc. The list goes on and on. It was pointed out to my discipleship class recently that the author acknowledges that these things are frightening. However Christian women are reminded that we are to chose to not give in to the temptation to fear, but rather we are to be marked by a hope in God that sees beyond the "maybes" and "probablies" and the worldly wisdom, to the great God who is in control and lovingly holding us in His hand. We are to believe His promises for our lives and the truths that God has declared regarding what is beautiful, precious and proper for holy women and then we are to "do good". We are to act out our hope in God by showing our husbands respect ("calling him lord") and living fearlessly in a day and age when women are wearing their fear filled hearts on their "sleeves". I know that my own fears can have a tendency to cause strife, contentions and stress in my own marriage; so this verse really hits home with me and yet is such a blessing to me. It holds such promise for me! God is faithful! God wants me to hope in Him (even with the really scary things like submission and my husband)! He will bless me as I trust in Him!

So what will that fearless living look like in my life? How about in your life? May we walk in fearless hope in God; for "He who did not spare His own Son but gave Him up for us all, how will He not also with Him graciously give us all things?" (Romans 8:32)

No comments: