Friday, March 12, 2010

Chapter 4 of The Cross Centered Life

This week we are contemplating the 4th Chapter of "The Cross Centered Life". The Chapter is about condemnation or rather "Unloading Condemnation: How the cross removes guilt and shame". Some highlights from the chapter are:
1. Most Christians (at one time or another) feel guilt/shame over sins of the past.
2. Because of the power of the gospel we can be completely free of all condemnation!
3. God is glorified when we believe with all our hearts that those who trust in Jesus can never be condemned.
4. Christians will regularly face the reality of their own depravity and the seriousness of their own sin, but the reality of Jesus' death and resurrection for the forgiveness of sin is greater.
5. The forgiveness that God freely gives to His children through Jesus' sacrifice should move us from guilt/shame to love and joy in the good news of the cross.

I really enjoyed this chapter. I have been struggling with this very issue of condemnation without realizing it. Sometimes it seems like it's holy to be filled with ongoing guilt and shame over past sin... as if that will make you hate sin more. I was reminded that it isn't holy to try to carry the weight of your sin on your shoulders and walk around trying to punish yourself for it. Jesus already carried the weight of my sin. He was already punished on my behalf. God intends for me to confess my sin to Him, to believe in Him and exercise the gift of faith that God gave me to believe that Jesus died for the sins that I am feeling condemned for. When I walk by this faith, then I will remember that I am forgiven and instead turn to praising God.

Do you think that condemnation will produce godliness? It kind of feels wrong to say "no". God brings conviction over sin and we certainly need to respond to that conviction. We absolutely should be sorrowful over our sin, but that cannot be the end. God means for our sin to lead us to Christ. If we are not confessing our sin and receiving the forgiveness that God has for us in Christ then we are no better off then the unbeliever. Forgiveness in Jesus is glorious. That is God's goal and when we miss that we are not fulfilling God's purpose for our lives: which is glorifying Him. I think that if I spent more time thinking about the joys of being forgiven in Jesus and knowing Him, my life would be dramatically more joyful and holy.

So here are some questions for you to think about:

When you read Scripture does it reveal the boundless love of the Savior or merely intensify your condemnation?
Are you more aware of your sin than you are of God's grace, given you through the cross?
Is it easier for your to think about your sins and struggles than Jesus' manifold wonders and beauties?

I really was challenged to lay my past sins at the foot of the cross and leave them there. In fact, I want to write at least one gospel focused verse/sentence in my journal every day; so that I may purposely focus my thoughts on the forgiveness that I have in Jesus. I want my days to be given in ceaseless praise to Jesus, not living in a past that has been wiped away in the Savior's sacrifice.

No comments: