Monday, March 8, 2010

Gramps

Last Friday my grandpa passed away. He was sick - very sick, and we knew that the time was nearing. He had battled cancer and various types of illnesses off and on, for the past 3 years. As I think about that, I am in awe of how gracious our God is. He allowed Gramps to live 79 full years. And, when he was at his worst health-wise, God in His great compassion, gave him more time to know more family members and experience many of God's blessings. He then ended Gramp's pain and suffering quietly and peacefully, laying in his bed here at home with Gram at his side. The Lord did not allow many years of pain and suffering for him. And, Gramps did not have to die alone in a hospital bed, all things that give his family comfort and open our eyes to God's mercies to lowly sinners such as we are.


My Gramps was more then a distant relative thought about only during holidays. He has been an earthly father and caregiver to me. I cannot remember a time when he wasn't part of my life. As children, my siblings and I lived with him, watching him work in his shed, drive his lawn mower to church to mow, and enjoyed walks with him as he named all the different flowers, trees and birds.
Gramps built us a playhouse years ago. That thing was a fortress. Our friends loved to come over and play in it; they had never seen anything like it! Of course, Gramps would watch us play and freak out every single time he thought we were doing something dangerous, like when my brother and his friends rode their bikes down the ramp he built leading up to this fortress. We thought after that, for sure we wouldn't ever be allowed to play in it again.
I remember him spending hours building bird houses, and various things like medicine cabinets and shelves. When I was a teenager and desiring to display some knickknacks, he built a beautiful corner shelf in my room and a matching ones for Kat. There was nothing he couldn't build.
I remember going over to run around church while he fixed things here and there, mowed the lawns, and cleaned, and found whatever projects weren't finished, and finish them. He never asked for anything in return and he never received any acknowledgment or recompense of any sort for it; he just did it, and loved every second of it. I know he has received his reward in Jesus when went to be with Him in eternity.

He was not just an integral part of my childhood, but on into my life with a husband and children. It has been a tremendous blessing that 4 out of my 5 children have had the opportunity to know him and love him and be loved by him. He built a crib - a beautiful , sturdy crib, when I was pregnant with my first child. He built a beautiful cradle as well. He would come over and tend to flowers and mow my lawn and play with the babies before he moved in with my family and me six years ago. Then my husband could barely keep up with the gas in the mower because he completely took over all the yard work, and took my little toddlers out to weed and water the garden.

He would give them access to his paint and give them wood and nails to work alongside him in the garage. Gramps was the main reason we built a garage; I only wish he could have used it more and we could have made it nicer for him. In fact, Calvin has a pair of jeans that he wears all the time now, that have the paint stains that I cannot get out, because Gramps gave him some paint and told him to go to town! Calvin was Gramps' little shadow when it came to yard work and woodworking. All the kids had hoped to build a birdhouse with grandpa this Spring. I guess we will have to build one in his memory now.

I have pictures and many memories of him taking my kids out to play on the swing set he built them. In the last 3 years when he has been weaker and sicker, he would still swing the little ones and sit on a chair by the trampoline and watch them while he sipped on lemonade ---- or Pepsi! All my kids were addicted to Pepsi at a young age because of him. He'd sneak it in their sippy cups, and also give them free sipping access to the Pepsi can he was drinking from. Many a summer day was spent sitting on a bench outside talking about birds, and plants and squirrels with grandpa.

I thank God for all the time we had with Gramps. He was always there when I needed him. He walked me down the aisle on my wedding day, he loved my children, and helped my husband in any way he could. I rejoice that he is in the presence of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, but I really miss his presence here with us. I am sad that Gabe will not be able to work with him in the garage, or plant flowers with him in the garden. Every time we mow the lawn there will be sweet memories of Gramps--- boy will I miss him when I have to mow the lawn! That grass is actually going to get a chance to grow!

Grandpa Baldy made a difference in my life and the life of my family. I will always feel the pain of his absence, but I am filled with joy at the thought of all the sweet memories I can savor and be able to share with others. Thank you Lord!

2 comments:

Jody said...

What a wonderful tribute to your Grandpa! What joyful memories your children will have of him. Grandparents are indeed a wonderful gift. I was very close to mine and will treasure always my memories of them.

JulieG said...

"tears" lots and lots of tears. Beautiful...