Friday, August 7, 2009

Thoughts on Forgiveness

Matt preached on forgiveness vs. bitterness about a month ago. I have been reflecting on that subject and this was really stuck in my "craw" a few weeks ago and so I journaled about it then I found some scripture to memorize (which I will share next week). I personally don't have (I think) a hard time forgiving unbelievers. Frankly, I don't expect much from them. However when fellow believers sin against me, I can really have a hard time forgiving them. These reflections are mainly focused on forgiveness of believers.

Forgiveness is remembering that Jesus lovingly and freely chose to die for and forgive us of our sin and by remembering we are motivated to choose to not remember the sin of others against us, but instead choose to extend the same forgiveness to our "offenders". As such it requires us to seek to have and live out the same humility that Christ had in Philippians 2 "Who though He existed in the form of God did not consider equality with God a thing to be grasped but He emptied Himself taking on the form of a bond-servant and being made in the likeness of men. Being found in the appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross." Forgiveness is a matter of obedience. It is a choice that we make to humble ourselves and follow Christ. Jesus did it first. He humbled Himself. He forgave us of all of our sins. But He also did even more than we will ever have to do - He actually took our sins and their sins upon Himself! We will never have to do that (nor could we). God is not asking us to bear their sin, He is telling us to forgive that which He has already forgiven.

In choosing not to forgive, I make myself equal with God and I exalt myself over Christ which is the ultimate act of pride. (For He did not consider equality with God something to be grasped.) In choosing not to forgive we make ourselves out to be better than God; more deserving of righteous treatment.

How scandalous of me! How scandalous of us! I can so easily do this that I go so far as to "dig a trench" of unforgiveness - (called bitterness) and hole up there as if I'm in a war: me against that nasty person who would dare sin against me! What a disgusting act of self-worship! Truly I need to remember at all times that if Christ (who is God) was willing to humble Himself then I (entirely sinful person that I am) can and must humble myself and forgive others.

Oh Father, please grant true and lasting repentance from this pride-filled rebellious sin of unforgiveness and bitterness. Help me to humble myself that I may exalt Christ and live out God honoring forgiveness for Your Name's sake. Thank you for reconciling me to You and bless me to be living out this ministry of reconciliation among the body of Christ as well as to the whole world.
Amen.

No comments: