Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Running to God in trials

 

I have been dealing with a trial in my life for 2 years now.  That seems to be a long time for a trial to last but I think I have learned valuable lessons while persevering through it.  One thing I learned is that when trials come, run to God, not away from Him.
 
I have heard many people say that God caused a trial in their life in order to just make their life miserable.  I admit I have had those same feelings in the past.  I have also heard people say that because they were trying to grow closer to the Lord, God sent a trial into their lives.  They say "that's what I get for going to church" or something similar.  And get mad at God.
 
Lately I have been reading the Gospel message and have seen it all in a new light.  I used to just think it was a message to unbelievers to bring them to God.  It is that and much more.  The fact that God sent His Son to die a horrible death so that His enemies could have fellowship with Him is amazing!  I don't think I could ever send one of my boys to die so that I could be friends with someone who hates me.  It just goes to show how much love God has for us.  I am so thankful for this great love and the sacrifice of His Son for me.  I don't think people realize how much love God has for us and that He only wants good for us.  He brings trials into our lives in order to make us more like Jesus and to build our character, not to make us sad or angry.
 
There was a time that I ran away from God when I experienced trials.  But, I have learned to look for the lessons that they give us and to stay close to God.  He is our loving Father and only wants our best.  I have also experienced God's strength in my weakness.  There was a time after one of my surgeries where I was in a lot of pain and kind of "out of it" from the meds.  I tried to pray that God would help me but my head was so scrambled I couldn't get it out.  But God knew what was going on and He gave me comfort.  I felt like He was holding me in His arms right then.  I was glad that I ran to God and not away from Him.
 
 I also learned that sometimes trials aren't even for us, they may be a way for someone else to witness God working through us.  I believe that was one of the reasons that God allowed all of the trouble with my leg.  I have had many opportunities to share with others my faith and reliance on the Lord.  People take what I say about God and they look at my situation and I think it means more to them. They see that my faith and trust in God are real, not just someone who talks a good talk and then doesn't practice what he preaches.
 
So, in the future when trials come, please remember to run to the Lord not away from Him.  It really makes a difference.
 
 
 

No comments: