Monday, August 24, 2009

Psalm 91

I was reading one of my favorite Psalms this morning.  Psalm 91 means a lot to me because it speaks of God's protection. 

 

Psalm 91

 

1. He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.

2. I will say to the Lord, My refuge and my fortress, My God, in whom I trust!  3.  For it is He who delivers you from the snare of the trapper and from the deadly pestilence.  4. He will cover you with His pinions, and under His wings you may seek refuge; His faithfulness is a shield and bulwark. 5. You will not be afraid of the terror by night, or of the arrow that flies by day;  6. of the pestilence that stalks in darkness, or of the destruction that lays waste at noon.  7. A thousand may fall at your side and ten thousand at your right hand, but it shall not approach you.  8. You will only look on with your eye sand see the recompense of the wicked. 9. For you have made the Lord, my refuge, even the Most High, your dwelling place.  10. No evil will befall you, nor will any plague come near your tent.  11. For He will give His angels charge concerning you, to guard you in all your ways.

I am an Army veteran, so verses 7 and 8 really help me to understand God's protection.  It is very scary to voluntarily put yourself in a situation where the chance of coming back on either a stretcher or a body bag is very high.  These verses may not refer specifically to a wartime situation; however, God's protection certainly can be seen in all of life's dangers. I think about being on a battle line, the enemy forces out number me and are spraying my area with thousands of bullets.  However, when the smoke clears, I am left un scathed and turn out to be the only person left standing.  I know I would be so relieved and thankful to God for miraculously protecting me.  I would probably be jumping and screaming praises to the Lord.

 

14. Because he has loved Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will set him securely on high, because he has known My name.  15. He will call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him.  16.  With a long life I will satisfy him and let him see My salvation.

 

God says in verse 14 that because I have loved Him, He will deliver me and answer my calls for help.  He even says He will honor me!  What a great God we serve!!

 

In times of trouble, it is good to remember that God is more powerful than anything that comes our way and that He hears our prayers and sends His angels to guard us.  If God is for us, who (or what) can be against us??

No comments: