Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Question and an Answer

Girl Talk answers a question from a woman struggling in her role as a wife and mother, particularly in regard to what it means to keep the home. I think it is a good question. The answer given seems biblical, gracious and clear.

Here is the question:


“Honestly, I still struggle in my role as wife and mother though I’ve lived in it for ten years now. So when I read Carolyn’s take on the Today Show a few days ago and the new book about sharing the home responsibilities 50/50, I just had a question, or maybe, a dilemma.

I stay at home full time, homeschooling my four children and I do love it. I wouldn’t want to work outside the home even if it was offered to me. But does that really mean that the husband has NO share in the household duties? Does that really mean that he should never wash some dishes, put laundry away, bathe a child, or pick up his own socks? I mean, if stuff needs to be done, should my husband be able to surf the web or watch a game while I tidy up after dinner and get the kids in bed? I guess I’m truly wondering if this is what It means to be a biblical woman? I WANT to be. I want to do my duties without grumbling and complaining. But it’s hard. It’s easy to feel like the maid. So, any words of wisdom in helping me to see this issue clearly and biblically, would be great.”

Here is part of the answer:

The command in Titus 2 to be “working at home” is further illuminated by 1 Timothy 5:14 where Paul says: “So I would have younger widows marry, bear children, manage their households, and give the adversary no occasion for slander” (emphasis mine).

In the Greek, the phrase “manage their households” carries a strong connotation. It literally means to be the ruler, despot, or master of the house. So we see that “working at home” means we are to function as the home manager—taking full ownership for all the domestic duties of the household.

They go on to explain further and I think it is worth reading and considering, because as the writer says, " A clear and compelling vision of our God-given assignment as home managers will help us guard against complaining and resentment."

Don't worry, they are not advocating a woman exclusively cooking and cleaning, nor do they completely exclude men from any responsibility in the home.

No comments: