Monday, June 8, 2009

Book review

God's Psychology

Charles L. Allen

I enjoyed this book very much. It was better than I expected based on the title. I had expected a book written in very technical language where I would only glean a small amount of information. Instead, I found the book to be written in layman’s language that taught me quite a bit.

Don’t get scarred away by the title, it is definitely applicable to anyone’s Christian walk.
The book is broken up into four parts.

The first part picks apart the 23rd Psalm. It goes into much detail on how to think of God using sheep farming metaphors to help us understand.

The second part goes over the Ten Commandments and shows God’s rules for living. It explains the true meaning behind each commandment. They were brought into a new light for me.

The third part uses the Lord’s Prayer to show how to talk to God. The real meanings of the phrases in the prayer are explained very well.

The fourth part goes through the beatitudes. I have read these keys to the kingdom many times but after reading this part of the book, they took on a whole new meaning.

All of the parts of this book really made me think about my walk with the Lord and how I could improve. It shows that we need to put our whole heart and soul into following the Lord. Going through the motions isn’t how God wants us to live.

The copy of this book that is located in the church’s Resource Center is in giant print, so most anyone should be able to read it.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to improve their walk with the Lord. I think we all need to go over the ways God wants us to live periodically.mtfbwy

No comments: