Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Sermon Reflection

When thinking about the recent sermons we heard on False Christianity and True Christianity, this Psalm came to mind:

Psalm 63:1-8
A Psalm of David, when he was in the wilderness of Judah.
O God, You are my God; I shall seek You earnestly;
My soul thirsts for You, my flesh yearns for You,
In a dry and weary land where there is no water.
Thus I have seen You in the sanctuary,
To see Your power and Your glory.
Because Your lovingkindness is better than life,
My lips will praise You.
So I will bless You as long as I live;
I will lift up my hands in Your name.
My soul is satisfied as with marrow and fatness,
And my mouth offers praises with joyful lips.
When I remember You on my bed,
I meditate on You in the night watches,
For You have been my help,
And in the shadow of Your wings I sing for joy.
My soul clings to You;
Your right hand upholds me.

We were taught that True Christianity boils down to discipleship. And, true discipleship is becoming like our Master. I couldn't help but think that if we were truly desiring to be like Jesus our life would be marked by the yearning for God the way described in this Psalm. If we were consumed with our Master this way, we would love others and attract sinners to Jesus; rather than continue to perpetuate the idea that Christians are all about conforming to a list of rules and are a group of judgmental, arrogant hypocrites. I would highly recommend listening to the messages if you haven't already.

No comments: