Friday, December 26, 2008

The Exciting Questions of the Aldrich Boys

It is amazing how many interesting questions come out of our bible reading. Most of the time I get to answer them myself since Ryan is usually working. Questions like: “What does it mean when it says that he spilled his seed on the ground?” and “What does it mean when it says that some are made eunuchs by birth, some by man and some by choice?”.

A few days ago my oldest son Aidan (soon to be 14 yrs old) asked me (in reference to our daily bible reading) “Why did they have to put Song of Solomon in the bible?”. He had an almost disgusted tone to his voice. I had to laugh to myself. He had overheard me mischievously telling their daddy with a wink that I was reading Song of Solomon for my bible reading and those words were Aidan’s response. I thought to myself that soon would come the day when he would read Song of Solomon with eager anticipation for the wife that God would give him and the relationship that he would enjoy with her (Lord willing). It’s not that he doesn’t understand what Solomon is generally talking about, though he doesn’t understand much of the meaning of the poetry (Praise the Lord). He knows that it’s talking about the relationship between Solomon and his wife and their “relating” to one another, but at this point he just figures that it is something you don’t share with everyone. Or at least that’s something he doesn’t want everyone to “share” with him.

So in response to his question, Ryan and I talked to him about how important the relationship between a man and his wife is (especially the physical relationship) and how people need to be taught about the goodness of the gift of that relationship, within the context of marriage (especially Christian marriage). We talked to him about how many people will go to one of two extremes regarding that relationship and either turn to an idolatrous fixation upon the excitement of the physical relationship or they will react with a prudish, fearful mentality declaring that what God has said is “Very Good” is really sin or just a means to child bearing. We explained to him about how God has called us to great joy and excitement and love and mutual care in the physical relationship between a man and a wife; and the Song of Solomon gives us God’s direction and guidance in this very important part of life. Then satisfied with our answer and his response we went on with our day.


…. Until the next day when Aaron asked “Why did they have to put Song of Solomon in the bible?”. I was tempted to tell him to ask Aidan, but I hadn’t warned Aidan that there would be a test so I thought that would be unfair…. Interesting but unfair.

No comments: