Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Frozen Pipes and Sick Kids


I wrote this last week. What a cold week we have had. The pipes froze again! All is well now. The kids and the pipes have survived the cold thus far. Despite all of the craziness called life, I am looking forward to spending Christmas with my family and have enjoyed this advent season. Have a Merry Christmas and may we actively wait in eager anticipation of our saviors second coming!

This morning we woke up to frozen pipes and sick children. What a way to start the day! We had just come off a rough weekend and now this.....

Life seems to be changing faster than my mind can wrap itself around and react. Then, more of life just happens. How are we suppose to come up with a plan for our life and catch up with the changes and pace, when we can't even unfreeze the frozen pipes or comfort the sick children laying on the couch, or in Silas' case sobbing in his bed?

I guess I could remember that life isn't as bad as it could be or as bad as others have it, but that is very little help in the battle against self-love. I could tell myself, " buck up lady, get over it, life goes on", but again, what good would that do in the long run? The bottom line is, I know that these things are true. Life isn't that hard, or at least not as hard as it could be. We are not promised a bed of roses. But as I bring my sorrow and confusion and struggles before God, I need to remember God. Who He is and what He has done. I need to remember that "God has much more going on in the world than satisfying the desires of any one person (me), or group of people." ( This really stood out to me from Rick's sermon this week) I need to meditate more deeply on Psalm 77. I need to become like Asaph.

1My voice rises to God, and I will cry aloud;
My voice rises to God, and He will hear me.
2In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord;
In the night my hand was stretched out without weariness;
My soul refused to be comforted.
3When I remember God, then I am disturbed;
When I sigh, then my spirit grows faint. Selah.
4You have held my eyelids open;
I am so troubled that I cannot speak.
5I have considered the days of old,
The years of long ago.
6I will remember my song in the night;
I will meditate with my heart,
And my spirit ponders:
7Will the Lord reject forever?
And will He never be favorable again?
8Has His lovingkindness ceased forever?
Has His promise come to an end forever?
9Has God forgotten to be gracious,
Or has He in anger withdrawn His compassion? Selah.
10Then I said, "It is my grief,
That the right hand of the Most High has changed."
11I shall remember the deeds of the LORD;
Surely I will remember Your wonders of old.
12I will meditate on all Your work
And muse on Your deeds.
13Your way, O God, is holy;
What god is great like our God?
14You are the God who works wonders;
You have made known Your strength among the peoples.
15You have by Your power redeemed Your people,
The sons of Jacob and Joseph. Selah.
16The waters saw You, O God;
The waters saw You, they were in anguish;
The deeps also trembled.
17The clouds poured out water;
The skies gave forth a sound;
Your arrows flashed here and there.
18The sound of Your thunder was in the whirlwind;
The lightnings lit up the world;
The earth trembled and shook.
19Your way was in the sea
And Your paths in the mighty waters,
And Your footprints may not be known.
20You led Your people like a flock
By the hand of Moses and Aaron.

May God be glorified though life is filled with frozen pipes and sick kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jasmine and Merry Christmas to you, your family and the everyone else. God will be Glorified this Christmas. I pray that we will exalt Jesus with His Gospel to our lost love ones this Christmas. I pray the Holy Spirit will give opportunity and wisdom to speak. I pray for the lost souls for God's mercy and salvation. Thank you all for your blog and words of encouragement.