Monday, August 30, 2010

Work

I found an interesting verse today as I was reading the Psalms.

It was Psalm 104:14 " He causes the grass to grow for the cattle, and vegetation for the labor of man, so that he may bring forth food from the earth"

Its interesting that God says that He causes vegetation to grow for the labor of man. He could have just fed us Himself but, He wants us to work for it.

I have seen a change in the "world's" attitude about work over the past few years. My parent's generation believed that it was good to work to provide for their needs and the needs of their families. Today, I see people looking to the government to provide for their needs. I'm all for helping people truly in need and I think it is a good way for believers to show and talk to people about Jesus but, it seems that an increasing number of people have voluntarily decided to not work to provide for themselves and instead happily rely on the ever increasing social entitlements.

I think that God blesses us through work. Reading and understanding the Bible is one good example.

I also think that this concept dovetails with Pastor Matt's sermon series on self-control. We are not to let our desire for leisure and comfort dictate our lives. Instead we need to be out doing what God wants us to do no matter what it is. I also think that as the 2nd coming of Christ gets nearer every day that passes, it is urgent that we tell others about salvation by faith through Christ and live our lives as a witness to those around us.

1 comment:

Kim Henry said...

I wholeheartedly agree Karen. Especially the urgency to share Jesus in this dying world. Thanks