Monday, August 9, 2010

Parrells between adopting a pet and believer's adoption by God

I was trying to get my kitties, Aubie and Boomer, to come and sit on my lap recently. But, like most kitties, they just looked at me and kept doing what they wanted to do. I felt kind of sad that they didn't come running over and jump into my lap and start purring. Were they mad at me? Were they thinking I was just a weird person? Who knows with cats!

Sometimes they do come and sit on my lap on their own initiative. I really like it when they want to sit with me and let me pet them. Its nice when they come over when I call them but, it is much better when they come on their own. It means more when they come because they want to.

This made me think about my relationship with God. I chose them from a group of many kittens, just because I liked them and thought they were cute. The Bible says in Ephesians 1:4 and 5, that God chose His Children (believers) before the foundation of the world according to the kind intention of His will. Not because of anything I had done, since He chose me before I had even been born. He just picked me because He wanted to. I am so thankful and humbled that He did.

Another parallel between God adopting me and me adopting my kitties is that I love God because He first loved me (1 John 4:19). If I had not first loved my kitties, they most likely would never had loved me.

I said before how much more it means to me when they come to me of their own free will. I think God feels the same way. He never forces anyone to come to Him. But, I think He does draw believers to Himself.

Isn't it amazing how God can use simple things to show us more about Himself?

No comments: