Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A Courtship to Remember

Okay so..... I get a little reflective and sappy about this time every year. October 9th was my 10th wedding anniversary. Whenever this day approaches I cannot help but think back on how God brought us together and all His goodness in giving me the best husband for me! Rick is a far better husband/lover/friend/shepherd, then I could have picked out for myself.

When Rick started pursuing me almost 11 years ago, it was a complete surprise to me! It wasn't something I expected or had even crossed my mind. Frankly, I had never really given "Mr. Aldrich" (as I was still calling him at the time) a thought. I remembered that he had been my Sunday School teacher when I was in 5th or 6th grade. I knew he was one of my Elder's and a trustworthy man, and I knew his family because at the time all of them were at the church.
But, honestly that was the extent of my thoughts about him. I had been counseled to talk to him about financial stuff, like establishing credit and such, but hadn't gotten around to it yet when.......

My sister told me one night when I got home from work ( I think) that Rick Aldrich had taken my mom out for dessert. We were freaking out! We thought that we must have done something wrong, or else why would one of the Elder's be wanting to meet with my mom? (teehee, secretly I thought my sister had done something wrong! :-0)

Well, that night when I was brushing my teeth in the bathroom, my mom came in and told me Rick took her out to ask if he could court me. WHAT? That is not what I expected, and honestly my first response was immature ( I was 19, show me grace). I said, " Isn't he like 40?!) I don't remember what she said, but really something along the lines of "no"! ( he was 31)

But to my surprise I really wasn't freaked out about it, or adverse in my mind. I honestly felt calm and said "okay".
After that he began pursuing me. He was clear with me from the beginning about what he wanted. He assured me that his mind was already made up about me so I had nothing to prove to him, in fact, he laid the burden of the relationship completely on himself. Something which I greatly appreciated and yet, in my youth and immaturity did not quite understand. I still had fears of rejection and really tried in some ways to pretend like it was just a get to know you kind of relationship.

I did believe a few things going into the relationship that caused me to desire it. I figured, if he can shepherd a church he ought to be able to shepherd a family. I also trusted him and believed him to have honorable character. This trust caused me to be willing to enter into this relationship.

As he pursued me I got to see things I didn't know about him. Such as, his quick wit and great sense of humor. I had perceived him as a totally serious all the time kind of guy. But, I actually enjoyed his company. He was thoughtful and not afraid to talk about our Savior with me, and about his plans, and how he saw our relationship heading. Ladies, he talked about marriage from the very beginning and even told me to tell him when I was ready!

I remember him asking me how many children I wanted and telling him 10! That didn't scare him off and that is saying something!

My respect for him was growing by leaps and bounds as we talked and spent time together with our family and friends. A man I had given very little thought of was now becoming someone I admired and felt tenderness toward. I admit I still had reservations about our age difference of almost 12 years, but those concerns were fading. I kept telling myself that he would see all my immaturities and faults and be done, but that did not happen. I was amazed that this man who loved our Lord, cared deeply for His people,and was mature in his thinking was interested in me... not just to have a good time but for marriage!

Then it happened. It was about 5 months after our courtship began and he decided it was time! He realized I wasn't going to just tell him I was ready to get married, so he told me! That's right, he told me I was ready and 3 months after that we were married!

I have not been disappointed. He has proven to be a faithful shepherd not just to the church, but to our family. I have seen his passion for the savior grow and he has helped me to grow. He has been used by God to grow me as a disciple of Jesus and become who I am 10 years later. I have a long way to grow and I am glad he is the man washing me in the word.

We have 5 children and I am not saying we will never have 10, but I have changed my ideas about actually bearing and giving birth to 10 children! :-)

Ten years may not seem like much to some, but it has been a blessed and beautiful ten years filled with highs and lows. This past year has been a bit rougher then the previous 9 with many changes and having to watch my beloved being yo-yoed around and just trying to keep up with the craziness, but now more then ever I am growing in my affection and respect for him. His compassion and kindness are unwavering. He has shown great steadfastness and delight in the Lord. Our God has graciously been providing for us abundantly beyond what we can ask or think and we have seen much to rejoice in. OUr Father has been growing us and stretching us as He has given us this time to just watch Him display His greatness and splendor to us. So I give thanks to my Heavenly Father for this time. And, I give thanks that it is "Mr. Aldrich" that I am sharing this with and growing with.

I am looking forward to growing with and loving the man God gave me for as long as we live. I can't imagine where we will in another 10 years if the Lord tarries and we are still both alive and well, but I can only imagine a stronger and deeper love for each other and I am looking forward to it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful encouraging post,
May our God bless you and Rick as you strive to bring Him glory in your marriage.
I think it is hilarious you guys thought it was for trouble Rick wanted to meet with me ...

Linda C. said...

Very beautiful and inspiring, Jaz. I always wanted to know how your courtship "evolved"! :) What a great testimony of how God merits our trust! He always knows what is best and has what is best for us! May He continue to richly bless you and Rick and grow you closer to Him and each other. May we all truly appreciate the gifts He give us in our spouses.