Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Contentment

I have recently begun to go through a devotional by Lydia Brownback called, Contentment: a Godly Woman's Adornment. Contentment can only be attained if our delight is in God alone rather then the futility of fleeting pleasures here on earth. And much to my shame I am in a constant battle with my flesh to be content, which reveals to me that too often I am distracted by and attracted to this world and what it has to offer - hence the reason I need to go through a devotional on contentment!

I should be content in all circumstances just like Paul said he had learned to be. Whether I am experiencing a time of great prosperity or a time of great need and trouble God is with me and with that should come great joy and contentment. Which means I need not feel guilty in a time of plenty but can instead rejoice in the God who has given it and allow others to share in it. It also means that when times are tough I should never have a pity party and be angry, but rejoice in the God who supplies all my needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

I want to be a women whose total delight be in God, not a finished home, a husband with a secure job, perfect health, well behaved children or flourishing ministry.

Lydia Brownback says: if we will trust God in whichever place we find ourselves, we will know contentment whether the season is easy or hard. We will know contentment whether the season is easy or hard. We will find peace in the hard times because a good Father is controlling them, and we will not be anxious in good times because our happiness is not bound up in having to maintain them. Good times are designed to come and go, but contentment is designed to be constant for all who are in Christ.


So I cry out with the Psalmist:
One thing I have asked from the LORD, that I shall seek:
That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life,
To behold the beauty of the LORD
And to meditate in His temple. (Psalm 27:4)

Oh, to be content with this!

No comments: