Friday, February 27, 2009

The Gospel Today

A few years back we went to a conference and heard Jerry Bridges speak. He talked about the importance of preaching the gospel … to ourselves, every day. That has stuck with me. I wonder to myself how my life and the lives of my husband and children as well as the people that we come into contact with would be affected if we who are Christians woke up every morning speaking the good news of the saving work of Jesus to ourselves. If we reminded ourselves at the bare-minimum: once a day, that we are seriously deserving of condemnation but instead have received grace free of charge and without reservation because of the lovingkindness and mercy of God through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus and the enlightenment of the Holy Spirit in our hearts and minds; how might our thoughts, affections, attitudes and actions be changed? Would I so easily judge and condemn that woman who is gorgeous and flaunts herself… because she doesn’t know the love of God or would I feel genuine pity for her lack of hope and instead pray for her? Would I get angry with that self-centered person who carelessly cuts me off on the road, knowing that I am so often self-centered and deserving of real wrath or might I give a blessing instead? Would I become impatient with my children in their ignorance or rebellion, when I too am often ignorant and rebellious but Christ is still patient with me or might I patiently call them to follow the Good Shepherd? Or, if I truly spent time treasuring the good news of God’s acceptance and redemption, might I be filled with joy enough to show grace and mercy and love and humility; and shine forth the gospel to others around me who do not know Christ? Is it possible that unbelievers will be drawn to “light of the glory of the gospel of Jesus Christ” as it is enjoyed by me and lived out in my life?

In my minds-eye, I can visualize my husband and children and I telling each other about Jesus with warm gushy voice-tones sort of like Stewart Smalley: “You’re good enough. You’re smart enough and dog-gone-it, people like you!” And that’s not what I mean. Rather will I chose to wake up and purpose to set aside time right away to think through the eternal good news and its workings in my life? Then can I call my children to think on those same things; even ask them to tell me about the good news of Jesus and how it affects them? Can I encourage my husband with the gospel when he is down or discouraged or distracted? It would seem that if we spent real time everyday remembering how the good news of Jesus the Savior has impacted us that it will impact us even more and impact the world around us, too. But until I (we) start this journey of speaking the gospel to ourselves every day, all of this speculation will remain just that: speculation. There is a world of opportunity set out in front of me through the good news of Jesus Christ… will I embrace it or will I just sit and speculate?

No comments: