Monday, February 23, 2009

Nothing But the Blood of Jesus!

What can wash away my sin?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Oh! precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow;
No other fount I know,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

For my pardon, this I see,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
For my cleansing this my plea,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Oh! precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow;
No other fount I know,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Nothing can for sin atone,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
Naught of good that I have done,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Oh! precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow;
No other fount I know,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

This is all my hope and peace,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
This is all my righteousness,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Oh! precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow;
No other fount I know,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.


I love hymns. I love many different types of Christian music as well, but I can honestly say that hymns are my favorite overall. Especially since Indelible Grace, Sovereign Grace Ministries, and many others have begun to put them to more updated music. The lyrics are amazing and thought-provoking.
I was on my way home from school Wednesday night after a day I had thought would be rough but the Lord was gracious and I actually ended up having a very good day. As I drove home, this song came on sung by Matthew Smith. I could not help but worship the Lord as I listened to these very true lyrics. They were especially sweet in light of the study I just finished on the Cross Centered Life.
The third verse particularly caught my attention. "Not of good that I have done, Nothing but the blood of Jesus." I was struck by how often I forget that my salvation had nothing to do with me or any personal merit or worth I can claim on my own. Of course, if you asked me, I would absolutely say that this is true. But I can point to many times when I have not lived this out.
I can think of many times I have not lived in absolute thankfulness to Jesus for His sacrifice on the cross - without which I would still be an enemy of God and destined for hell. I can think of many times I have compared myself to my brothers and sisters in Christ in pride without remembering that apart from Christ's work on the cross I am totally depraved. I can think of many times I have looked down on unbelievers and their lifestyles and actions and thought "I would never do that!" although apart from God's grace I would be doing the same things!
"This is all my righteousness, Nothing but the blood of Jesus!" Do I truly live every moment of my life acting out this truth? Or do I act as though I am partly hoping in Jesus' righteousness and partly on my own? Unfortunately, often times I find myself living out the latter.
Even as this song convicts me, it also reassures me. "This is all my hope and peace, Nothing but the blood of Jesus." As much as I am unfaithful, so much more is my Savior's faithfulness! As sinful as I am, my Savior is the holy Son of God! Jesus is my never changing, always faithful, infinitely gracious, loving, merciful, SAVIOR! And I should strive to live out every minute of my day proclaiming this truth through my actions.
I should remember that every time I am impatient, I am demeaning the patience of my Lord. Every time I hesitate to forgive, I am acting like the sin committed against me is a bigger deal than the sin I have committed against God. Every time I have pride I am acting like Christ's sacrifice for me was unnecessary.
I should remember every time I show patience that it is only because of Jesus' work in me. Every time I am able to truly forgive, show humility, speak graciously, etc. it is all and only because of Jesus' death on the cross!
This week, let us all strive to live out our thankfulness to Jesus and our dependency on Him in our every thought, action, word, and deed. And when we fail, let us run for forgiveness to a forgiving, loving, merciful Savior who has already paid for our every sin. And when we succeed, let us thank our Savior for His sacrifice that enabled our success.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's one of favs as well. I particulalry like the last two verses, which are not found in most hymnals.

Now by this I’ll overcome—Nothing but the blood of Jesus,
Now by this I’ll reach my home—
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Glory! Glory! This I sing—
Nothing but the blood of Jesus,
All my praise for this I bring—
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Anonymous said...

This was one of the hymns that came to my mind after Sunday's sermon about being gospel-minded. Another was "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Sweetest Name I Know--Fills my every longing--keeps me singing as I go" (There's within my heart a melody)

Nichole, thanks for this blog. Lots of good thinking about what our impatience, unforgiveness, etc., says about our great God. We talked a LOT in small group about how it seems everything we do is centered around ourselves and what we think WE must do to be holy and righteous and obedient and so on and so on. But praise God that He has done that work already on the cross: "It is finished!" Would that we will keep looking to the cross in spite of or because of our circumstances, and be filled with awe at:
"How great is our God,
sing with me
How great is our God,
and all will see
How great, How great
Is our God."