Friday, February 20, 2009

Power in Weaknesses

In my Sunday school class we just learned about God’s promise to reward those who persevere in trials for the sake of Christ. It was a fantastic and encouraging lesson and, as always, God seems to bring my lessons in such a timely fashion in ministering to me! In preparing for my lesson I read these verses:

2 Corinthians 12:9-10 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

I’ve read these verses many times before but they were especially convicting this time. The word “delight” is what really caught my attention. Paul didn’t say that he puts up with trials, insults, hardships, persecutions, difficulties, etc… he said that he delights in them. That’s just not normal! If somebody insults me or treats me badly, I don’t delight in it - I get angry. I steam inside and wish a lightning bolt would just zap them and teach them not to mess with me. But Paul says that he delights in it… ? So I re-read the verses and here’s what I think: Paul has seen the power of God through Christ’s work. He has experienced the power of Christ in himself and he wants more. He has a choice to either give in to his own flesh in times of trials (in my case this looks like angry silence, pouting, etc.) or to look to Jesus and see His glory, to trust in His work, and then taste of His power. He has tasted of the goodness of the Lord in every aspect of his life including Christ’s power in, over, and through his trials and afflictions… and as such when Paul is in a situation where he is in a position of weakness, he delights because he knows that Jesus has the power and will fill Paul with His strength. Paul would rather be filled with the presence and power of Jesus Christ through his own weaknesses and trials, then seek to give in to his own flesh to be free of the trials and hardships.

Psalm 16 puts words to the heart attitude expressed by Paul in the above passage, and is my prayer as I fight for joy in Christ in the midst of trials.

Psalm 16

Preserve me, O God, for I take refuge in You. 2 I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord; I have no good besides You."

3 As for the saints who are in the earth, They are the majestic ones in whom is all my delight. 4 The sorrows of those who have bartered for another god will be multiplied; I shall not pour out their drink offerings of blood, Nor will I take their names upon my lips.

5 The LORD is the portion of my inheritance and my cup; You support my lot. 6 The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me.

7 I will bless the LORD who has counseled me; Indeed, my mind instructs me in the night. 8 I have set the LORD continually before me; Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.

9 Therefore my heart is glad and my glory rejoices; My flesh also will dwell securely. 10 For You will not abandon my soul to Sheol; Nor will You allow Your Holy One to undergo decay.

11 You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever.

No comments: