Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Missional Minded Mommy

Right now we are in a series at Church where Pastor Matt is teaching us what it means to be a missional Church, or to put it another way, he is trying to help us to embrace the mindset of a missionary to our culture. I am hearing that the word missional is freaking some people out and does in fact have some very bad connotations tied to it. I hope we will hear Matt out from the pulpit and follow Matt and Rick's lead as they try to exemplify for us and lead us into what they believe to be a biblically sound, gospel-centered view of missional.

A question still in my mind as I try to wrap my heart around all this and keep up the pace with where my own husband is leading our household into changes to become more of a presence in our community for the sake of the gospel is, what does this look like for me, a wife to an elder/seminary student, mommy to 5 young children and granddaughter to two very ill grandparents that live with me? I have to answer this question. And I think it begins in the "heart." By this I mean a heart/mind set on the gospel of Jesus, so fixed on Jesus that it permeates all I say and do everywhere I say and do it. And my friends, I think for me it starts at home.

I have to take a long hard look at what the God I say I serve says about how the gospel-His gospel-shines forth in a world that is dying in sin. I believe the Lord has not hidden how His gospel is manifested. It seems to me it is very clear and speaks directly to wives and mothers. I am not desiring to exclude anybody, in each passage I look at the Lord is clear to all situations(health, wealth,employed, unemployed), positions(single,married,parent,boss,employee), and genders(male and female).

I am somewhat focusing on being missional as a wife and mother because that is the position I am in right now and I believe that other young wives and mothers have some of the same questions and struggles I have. So, for the next few weeks I am asking you to journey with me as I ask my questions, maybe answer a few, and give you a little peek into my life as Rick and I begin to pursue a more missionally(gospel-centered) focused mind-set. It may be a bumpy ride, so please show me grace. We plan, but God often has His own plan which is far better, so you may experience that with me. I want to attempt to give you a glimpse not only into the changes we are making as a family but into what our home looks like on the inside! *scary music* So you can see where perhaps the Lord has made us gospel-centered parents and where there are changes that need to be made. I want to give a bit of what the scripture is saying about my life as a wife and mommy that is manifesting the gospel His way rather than my way. I want you to come with me as you see some of our attempts to invade the culture with the gospel. I want to hear some of your questions and some of the things you are doing to be a missional minded mommy, student, grandparent, wife, employer, employee. Ladies help me out, I want to know how you managed to invade the culture (where you work, play,buy or sell), what you are doing now, or even what is hindering you.

I am looking forward to getting into this and getting some of your insight. I am looking forward to the rest of what Pastor Matt is going to say and learning along with everyone else how to let our lights shine before men so that our Father may be glorified!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is hard to switch gears and break old habits...My home is very family/church focus. We really have not gotten passed that. Busyness is our biggest hindrance. When we finally have time to think, all we want to do is retrieve and relax. But I have figured out this much--I can start bt becoming more hospitable. Opening my home to new characters so that we may get to know each other and perhaps even relax WITH US may just be the answer to my dilemma. Does that answer your question?

Anonymous said...

Esme, Thank you. It seems to me hospitality is a great start. I have an upcoming post trying to show that our little families reflect the greater family of God- the Church! I don't think retreating from the church or our families is the answer, but I think you are onto something with opening up your home. People won't see a loving community unless they are there to see it and enjoy it with you. Keep us posted on how that is working out.