Monday, January 26, 2009

Trusting God

Romans 8:32 "He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things?"

This week in Sunday School, my class and I discussed trusting God in all circumstances. As usual, the lesson I was teaching served to convict me as I studied and prepared to present it. I read many verses, such as the one above, and was struck over and over again by the fact that the only part of me that it lasting is my soul. The only part of me that is eternal is my soul. The most important and valuable part of me is my soul.

And I have trusted Jesus to save my soul.

How can I not freely trust Him with all other things?

If you are anything like me, you struggle with worry and anxiety on a daily basis. It can be something as small as worry that you won't arrive to class on time (even though you left the exact same time you do every day, and every day you arrive fifteen minutes early) or something as big as a health issue that is getting worse or a personal financial crisis.
If you are anything like me, you find yourself worrying about these things as though God does not have any control over them, or as if God has control but lacks the time or willingness to act. We need to be daily reminding ourselves to trust in God. Because, if we truly believe that He has given us His own Son to die for us to save us from our sins - then how much more will He freely provide for our needs!

Luke 12:6-7 "Are not five sparrows sold for two cents? Yet not one of them is forgotten before God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows."

There are a myriad of ways that we can apply this to our daily lives. I will list a few of them here for your (and my) consideration and prayer:
1. Do you trust God enough to submit to your husband/father even when you disagree?
2. Do you trust God enough to respond to those around you in a loving manner?
3. Do you trust God enough to love others without being sure of receiving love in return?
4. Do you trust God enough to witness to friends, co-workers, and family?
5. Do you trust God enough to stand up for those being mistreated?
6. Do you trust God enough to do the right thing even in situations where you could get in trouble, made fun of, etc.?


No comments: