Monday, January 5, 2009

Meditation on Love and Foster Care

Pastor Matt just preached a sermon on Love out of 1 Cor. 13, known as the love chapter. ( It isn't on sermon audio yet, but I hope to see it there soon) We have heard much about love over the years in sermons including a few from Rick. This one comes to mind as one I would like to listen to again. The difference this time for me is having an outlet for discussion in small group. It allowed me not only to listen to, but interact with and take to heart and examine much more carefully the areas that I can see where I struggle to live out Corinthians 13. Notice I said the areas I can see. I am sure that there are more that I am not seeing, but I have been able to reflect on a few things and be challenged a bit at a time.... praise God.

Recently Rick has been promoting foster care here at TBC and many of my thoughts lead me right back to this very subject. Rick and I have never actually done official foster parenting, so we have no real experience and can only go by what we are told by those who have been heavily involved. But much to my shame, when I think of foster care I think of how hard it might be. You see I love myself too much. Back when we only had two kids and were pregnant with our third we had what is called a "voluntary placement" and my friends, it was one nightmare after another. Much effort, time, and tears were put into this young lady and her family both before and after her time living with us and from start to finish it was an emotional, physical, and spiritual roller coaster that was anything but exciting. And, though to this day I think and care for this family, it left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. So much put in, nothing in return but heartache! Then I think, are we crazy to try to become foster parents??? What about my 4 going on 5 children? I won't be able to parent foster children the same way I do my own; there are rules and guidelines which must be followed. These are extremely self- focused thoughts, not loving at all. True love acts with expectation of nothing in return. Fostering isn't about building your family. It is a way Rick and I, if the Lord wills, desire to impact our community with the gospel and it will have to be done with real gospel love. It will have to be done in a Corinthians 13 manner. Rick has convinced me through his self-sacrificing example and hopeful attitude that this is something we should be doing, again if the Lord permits. And, I would like to encourage any of you that perhaps brushed it out of your mind because it might cost you and your family too much, to reconsider. Please don't pursue it for your own sake. It won't work, because it isn't going to be a real family building experience, it might hurt emotionally and be physically draining. Remember that sacrifice even unto death doesn't matter if love isn't present; but for the glory of God and in genuine love might this be a way to evangelize Kenosha, Milwaukee and Racine? We have talked much in our church recently about becoming more outfacing and some of you are much more active in evangelizing than I am, but how are we at TBC loving our community in such a way that it spotlights Jesus? I have admired Dave Fantl's involvement with the handicapped at Shepherds Ministries (I mention this because he is one I know that has established a witness in the community through something tangible like this) and it seems to me that fostering is another way (for Rick and I anyway) to love like Jesus and give good news to a hopeless community. I plead with you again to consider if this may be a way to love for sake of Jesus Christ. Remember that if you commit to the meeting to learn more about foster care it is not a commitment to do foster care. In fact, getting certified doesn't mean you have to take children, so please consider this opportunity and join the many who have gone before us to help other families in our community. God bless!

Please come back tomorrow for more thoughts on foster care from Nichole.

No comments: