Friday, January 2, 2009

A Blessing for 2009

Today as I read my bible I was reminded of how much/often/easily I sin and how thankful I am for the Bible. I wish that I weren’t so accomplished at sinning, but sadly I am a professional. I speak coarsely sometimes. I am quick to see sin or foolishness in others (and NO that is not a well developed gift of “discernment!”) I lack consistent temperance and self-control with regards to my eating habits. I am often lazy or focused on the wrong task or priorities. I could go on and on with this list but I won’t. As I read God’s word the Spirit is faithful to convict me of all of these things and more; but I am glad.

I am glad because I would rather be able to see my sin clearly and as such be able to follow the leading of the Holy Spirit as He guides me back to the path of righteousness; than to be blinded to my situation (that of having strayed from the narrow way and wandering merrily along thinking I’m doing pretty good or am better than the next guy- meanwhile walking toward the cliff of God’s gracious discipline.) I would rather see that I have strayed from the footprints of Jesus than be blind to my peril.

And to that end, I see that the distinct difference between the two “places” I could be is that God has convinced me through the Spirit (and the godly counsel of His people) that I need to be prayerfully, diligently, and consistently reading through His word - the Bible, everyday. I see and talk to lots of people who by their own admission are constantly struggling and seeing little victory; and the most consistent mark in all of their lives is that they don’t consistently read the bible or pray from the bible.

I also see in my own life that when I am not taking scripture specific to my ongoing areas of temptation and spending time praying it, memorizing it, and meditating upon it, that I do not have victory over the daily wars against sin.

So again - I am glad that God has not left us without clear guidance (His Word) as well as the Holy Spirit/Helper to teach us to understand it and to follow it. I’m glad that He loves me enough to save me through the blood of Jesus and then draw me out of my habits of sin through His convicting work of the Spirit as He uses the Word of God. I’m glad that He has so worked in my life to bless me daily through His word which brings life and peace.

This year may we all be blessed to be daily in God’s word and may our lives reflect the holiness of Christ.

Colossians 3:16-17 16 Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God. 17 Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.

No comments: