Friday, July 18, 2008

Three boys and a box…

Boys are so much fun. This week’s fascination is a box. It is a BIG box, but still a box. My husband bought me a new range/stove and when it was delivered, I asked the delivery man if we could keep the box. I thought back to childhood memories of when my dad had brought some similar big boxes home and we played house in them and various other calm girlish things … as such I was excited to present it to my boys.

It went like this “Check this out boys… It’s a really big box!” They (naturally) responded with “woo-hoo”‘s between the three of them (ages 13, 11, and 9) and the fun commenced. But they don’t do the expected things with the box. They have “cage wrestling matches” inside of the box. (We don’t have TV stations so they’ve never witnessed this. This must be part of boy DNA!) They turn it on its side and do their school in the box: reading, math, etc. (Though only two can fit in it at once, so they have to take turns.) They turn it over so it’s entirely covering one of them and then beat on the outside of the box. (Why? I dunno! I’m a girl, remember!) They weigh too much so none of them can sit on top of the box, or they’d do that too! They lie in the box and roll it around the room like it was a barrel (it’s gotten less box-like and more rounded at the seams). Altogether, they’ve had a lot of fun in that box. But as the saying goes, “This too shall pass.” And it has. The box died today. Along with my three sons, I was taking care of Esme’s four boys: all of which are less than 4 years old. They too, joined in the fun... and that was the "last straw". The box surrendered. It breathed its last. It now is a smashed pile of cardboard remains in my front yard, waiting for garbage day. Oh well. It was fun while it lasted. Once again I am reminded that boys are full of new experiences and I am so blessed to have my three boys, especially! Have a great weekend everybody and enjoy the “boxes of life” while they last!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, did that bring back some memories! Me and my friend Kenny used to drive around the neighborhood on our bikes and find "big boxes," We would then drag them back like road kill, take some duct tape, and make a multi-room fort. Of course it would only last till the first rain, and then we would have to go on the hunt again, but it was always so much fun!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Cage wrestling--only your boys! What fun! We did the same with our kids as well. I never had to worry about "keeping up with the Joneses" or having the latest gadgets, because the most fun we had was mostly "free". I remember one fun thing we did with our kids(then toddlers or primary school age)was puzzle races. We had all these cool wooden puzzles (approx. 24 pieces or less each); must have had at least a dozen or so. We would dump all the pieces of all the puzzles in one big pile and mix them up "real good." Then we'd each take 3 or 4 puzzle boards and at "GO!" we raced to see who got their puzzles put back together first. It was endless hours of fun.