Tuesday, July 8, 2008

9 Years Ago ....




The 4th of July is very special to me for many reasons. Betsy made some very good points about our country that I can say Amen to. It was a good time to rejoice with my church family and meditate on our eternal relationship where we will someday be rejoicing forever before our Lord and savior, Jesus Christ.

This day is also a neat day for me because 9 years ago on this very day, Rick and I were engaged. It was a Sunday. Rick asked me to go out to lunch with him after church and a little to my surprise it was to be just the two of us. Normally we went with his family, friends, or over to my house with my family. I remember going to Applebees and talking about going down to the lake to see the fireworks with the rest of the church. Afterward we went back to church so I could pick up my car and go home, but when I got out of his car he asked me to take a walk with him around the neighborhood and I agreed. We walked for a bit and then headed back to the church parking lot. All I know is before we reached the parking lot I had a ring on my finger and we were talking about when to set the date for the wedding!

We ended up going to my house to talk to my family , then to his parents to reveal the news. We were greeted at his parents house by his brothers, their families and if memory serves me, a few families from church. After all the picture taking and talking we went over to the Henry's to tell them our news and then on to the Stocker's. It was a pretty full day before we finally got to the fireworks. By the time we got there everybody knew and many were shocked, because although we never intended our courtship to be a secret, very few people were aware of it. We had been courting for all of 5 months. But that's a story for another day! We were married 3 months later and we have been able to look back and rejoice in the God who brought us together.

So for me these last nine years, Independence Day has not only been a day to celebrate our God given freedoms in this country but a day to reflect and rejoice in God giving me the best guy a girl can ask for!

It's fireworks everyday for me! :)

1 comment:

Esme Randle said...

You guys haven't changed a bit, it must be the fireworks everyday...! :)