Monday, July 7, 2008

Contest!


The girls and I have decided to hold out two more weeks on our 'How My Husband Proposed' Contest. We also decided to make it a little easier for you. Betsy said that perhaps this topic was a little too limiting and suggested that we extend it to include stories of how you met your husband. We really want to read your stories! Don't worry, we aren't expecting a book, just a few lines about how you met the love of your life and/or how he asked you to spend the rest of your life with him.

I am going to share the story of how my parents got engaged. Hopefully it will make you laugh - and eager to shoot us an email with your own story. You can email us at: truewomenblog@gmail.com.

When my dad was dating my mom way back when, he used to have a pretty full beard. As a result, when it came time for the Easter play at their church, he was the obvious candidate to play Jesus. Which he did. My mom came to watch them and afterwards, as they were standing in the parking lot getting ready to leave, out of no where my dad says, "Kim, will you marry me?" He says that he wasn't planning on asking her that and as the words were leaving his mouth he was kind of panicked, like, what am I saying?? My beloved mother laughed at him. She thought he was joking! My dad's confusion and slight panic changed quite suddenly to hurt as he hastened to clarify that he wasn't joking, he meant what he had asked. After which, my mom replied with a resounding 'Yes!' And the rest is history!

I love this story. It is so typical of my family. Only a Henry would accidentally propose and only a Selzer would laugh. And I am a mix of both!

I am happy to report that they are still happily married to this day and still very much in love. If you know my parents you should ask them to tell you this story one day. First of all, they were there so they can tell it better. But its also really cute to watch how excited my dad gets while he is telling it, and how sometimes my mom blushes.

So here you go, two more weeks to tell your own stories! They can be longer or shorter than mine. Funnier or sweeter than mine. We want to hear them all!

1 comment:

Betsy Aldrich said...

That is a great story! Thanks for sharing it Nichole!