Tuesday, June 8, 2010

They disappeared and you could hear their faint cries as they disappeared under the ice!

Pride. Arrogance. Foolishness. The young family that we read about toward the end of the book, Call of the Wild, manifest these character traits quite clearly. Clearly enough that my nine year old sobbing son said, "Mom they were so foolish! They didn't listen to anybody." He was right in his assessment.

I began to say that foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child. It is bound up in us all. Those who stiffen their necks and harden there hearts, do not do themselves any good, but much harm. I looked Jackson directly in the eyes and asked him why he thought there were verses in the Bible ( Proverbs) that start with, "Now then, my sons, listen to me." and "My son, give attention to my words." or "My son, give attention to my wisdom." " Hear o my sons, the instruction of a father."

We were able to briefly discuss how we must learn to heed those who are godly and wise. We spoke of how we must guard against arrogance that says, "I know best."

Verses came to my mind as we discussed the demise of this small family. It was such a devastating picture of what a foolish person's end can be. The opportunity was right to discuss with my children, Jackson in particular the importance of listening to their parents. How God in his goodness has given us to them to help them grow in wisdom and protect them. We discussed that God has graciously given us godly older men and women who we can trust and ask for counsel (if we are humble and wise) and listen to.

We were able to look at or quote verses like:
Proverbs 15:5 A fool rejects his father's discipline,But he who regards reproof is sensible.
Proverbs 13:10 Through insolence comes nothing but strife,But wisdom is with those who receive counsel.
Proverbs 12:1 Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, But he who hates reproof is stupid.
Proverbs 10:17 He is on the path of life who heeds instruction, But he who ignores reproof goes astray.

We talked about how over and over this family was warned and given sound counsel, but they refused it because they were wise in their own eyes.
Proverbs 26:12 Do you see a man wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.

It led to more about how we were all guilty of foolishness and going our own way, because we reject God and each of are going astray. We talked, with Noelle and Jackson leading much of the discussion, about God (the one whom we reject and sin against) and laying our sins and foolishness on Jesus. We were heading to our ultimate and eternal death, but God in His mercy sent His only Son, who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf. Oh what a savior! He rescued us! He did not allow all of us to continue to go our own way!

Please pray with me that we would know and love our savior more! Please pray for my little ones, that they may see the Gospel of God and turn to Jesus. Oh how I pray that Calvin, Silas and Gabe heed the call of the gospel and do not harden their hearts against it. And how truly grateful I am for His gracious work in so many of my family members, including my son Jackson and daughter Noelle!

Lord, grant me more passion to call others to Jesus, Who rescues us from death.

No comments: