Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I have been reading A Sweet and Bitter Providence by John Piper. I have read through the book of Ruth once a year since I was a kid. I can't remember a time when I wasn't pretty familiar with the story. This book by Piper has caused me to look at this little book of the Bible in a completely different way then I have ever seen it before. I have received more instruction and rebuke from it then I ever have. I have received more encouragement from it then I ever have before. This little book has enlarged my love for my God, and increased my faith more then I imagined the book of Ruth could. I highly recommend reading this book.

I want to share with you this excerpt from the book that I keep rereading because of how it struck me:
The book of Ruth wants to teach us that God's purpose for His people is to connect us to something greater than ourselves. God wants us to know that when we follow him, our lives always mean more than we think they do. Naomi had no idea in the land of Moab that God was making her a the ancestor of the Messiah. For the Christian there is always a connection between the ordinary events of life and the stupendous work of God in history.

Everything we do in obedience to God, no matter how small, is significant. It is a part of a cosmic mosaic that God is painting to display the greatness of his power and wisdom to the world and to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places ( Ephesians 3:10). A deep satisfaction of the christian life is that we are not given over to trifles. Serving a widowed mother-in-law, gleaning in a field, falling in love, having a baby-for the Christian these are all connected to eternity. They are part of something so much bigger than they seem.

Piper goes on to point out that the best is yet to come for the man and woman who follow Jesus in faith. God is at work! And God uses the darkest times in our lives to get us there!

1 comment:

Kim Henry said...

OK, now I really want to read the book. These past months have given me such an understanding that, because God uses us to glorify Himself, regardless of how difficult the trials may be, they are good IF He is glorified in them. Knowing that He works all things together for good as well as His many other promises for us have become such a huge comfort to me. He is so very good to us. Knowing that He is at work whether we see it or not is exciting. Knowing that He works in every aspect of our lives makes all things worth it. Even in the mundane we have opportunities to glorify Him. The question is, for me at least, will I glorify Him in the mundane? Will I glorify Him in the difficult trials? Or will I give in to selfishness? Thanks Jaz.