Friday, June 20, 2008

to my big stud


•Right after Jon and I had bought our first home, his parents thought that would be a good time to bring over all the “treasures” Jon had collected over the years; there were boxes upon boxes of these “treasures.” My sneaky way to get rid of some of that non sense was to offer to help him go through it all (wasn’t I helpful?!). Well, after a lot of work and no sign of ever giving up anything, I asked “Jon, what do you call those people that hold on to EVERYTHING?” (I couldn’t remember what it was, don’t forget English was my second language.) Without hesitation, and with a subtle look on his face, he answered “big stud”. “Yeah, you big stud…” I proceeded to call him. And He responded with “call me that again”…and I did! This wasn’t shaming him as I thought it would, so I asked…again “what’s a stud?” Yeah, the joke was on me!!

•My ignorance and his clever sense of humor has more often than not been a recipe for fun memories.

•His “treasures” are now our kids’ toys and he watches with great delight the joy that they bring to their silly little faces.

To my big stud and to all others out there

Happy Belated Father’s Day!!

3 comments:

Betsy Aldrich said...

Esme, how fun! I really enjoyed your post. Although since Ryan heard this story from Jon, whenever I tell Ryan that he's a big stud, he now thinks I'm telling him he's a packrat!

Anonymous said...

Esme this is too funny...I saw the title and thought "Wow, Esme's really open with her feelings!" then I read it...Jon's pretty smart. A husband with a sense of humor is a good thing :).

Anonymous said...

Esme, this is great. I have always enjoyed this story.