Friday, June 6, 2008

A Hunger for God…Through Fasting Part IV


In Matthew 6:16-18 we’re given more guidelines about how to fast: “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. I tell you the truth they have received their reward in full….And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you”

Don’t look like you’re suffering. Don’t draw attention to yourself. Don’t look like you’ve had a rough day. Give no reason to be asked why you look so bad. This is especially hard for me…I live in a perpetual state of tiredness. I look run down everyday. So looking better than I normally do would get people asking why I look so good…LOL!! Not really, but I do have to make an extra effort to look as normal as I otherwise would.

Keep it private. As in praying, we are called not to pray as to be seen so that others think highly of us. God sees the motives of your heart so beware when telling others about your fasting. Also, be reminded that fasting is not a sacrifice that earns us anything and/or worse, bends God’s Hand to do our will. John Wesley puts it this way: “The man who never fasts is no more in the way to heaven than the man who never prays.” However, there is plenty of support in the Bible for corporate and group fasting in Joel 2:15 it calls the people of Zion to gather together and “declare a holy fast…” When you’re married or live with others it will be very hard to keep that a secret, again it is your motive that makes it sinful…not that people find out.

There is a reward! It is just like giving; the more you give, with the right heart attitude, the more reward you store in heaven. John Piper says it better: “…He {God} rewards acts that confess human helplessness and that express hope in God, because these acts call attention to his glory.”

I sure pray that the Lord through the Holy Spirit has impressed upon your heart to seek Him in fasting, and that through fasting your heart will be revived as mine was. We also look forward to hearing from you and your testimonies of answered prayer and found joy in Christ.

“I am thirsty, but you are the Fountain of Life.

I am weak, but you are strong.

I am poor, but you are rich.

I am foolish, but you are wise.

I am broken, but you are whole.

I am dying, but your steadfast love is better than life,” (Psalm 63:3.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Esme, thank you for such a helpful and humble approach to the subject of fasting.

Anything that causes us to more fully cast ourselves upon God, and taste a little more of His sweet goodness and grace is beneficial to us.

Betsy Aldrich said...

Fantastic posts Esme! They have really challenged me to start fasting again for the right reasons!