Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A Hunger for God…Through Fasting Part II

Why should we fast?

Dr. Whitney gives these reasons (and more in his book) as to why to fast:

1) It is ordained by God. In Matthew 6:16-17 it says: “And when you fast…But when you fast…” By giving us instruction on what to do and what not to do when we fast, Jesus assumes that we will fast.
2) To humble oneself before God. In Psalm 35:13; Ezra 8:21 “I humble myself through fasting”.
3) To strengthen our prayer. Nehemiah (in 1:4) “fasted and prayed before the God of heaven.”
4) To seek God’s Guidance. In Acts 14:23 Paul and Barnabas prayed and fasted before appointing elders in the churches they founded.
5) To express grief. After King Saul’s burial in 1 Sam 31:13 it says that they the men of Jabesh Gilead mourned and “fasted for seven days.”
6) To seek deliverance or protection. Queen Esther (in 4:16) said “Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me.”
7) To overcome temptation and dedicate yourself to God. In Matthew 4:1-11 we’re told Jesus fasted for “forty days and forty nights”. He knew how Satan was going to tempt him and that’s how he prepared himself for the temptations to come.

Could you find any reason to fast?

As I mentioned before, my main reason for fasting was prayer. But with more reasons to fast, I have found myself increasing the number of days I fast per week - I’m hooked! While fasting, everything is magnified, becomes urgent, and captures my senses. My dull and boring prayers are suddenly revived with a great sense of love and care for the lost and God’s people. Overall, my sense of expectation and hope has been renewed through fasting. There has been a trickled down affect into other areas of disciplines like reading my Bible consistently and meditating on the Word.


Please join me Thursday as we tackle HOW to fast.

2 comments:

Matthew Henry said...

Keep these up Esme, they are excellent.

Anonymous said...

Esme, these are great posts. I am looking forward to the other two. Fasting is something I have wanted to be consistent with for a long time. You have inspired me to commit to truly disciplining myself in faith in this area. Thanks.