Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Bedtime Blessings, Prayer and Singing




Before our 5 children go to bed for the night, we usually, Lord permitting, pray with them, bless them, and sing a song or two.

Desiring God Ministries has blessing cards that use scripture to pray a blessing over your children.

This has become a sweet time for our family. Rick and I do not always do this together. Some times we are both present and other times it depends on who is home when the kids go down to bed. Either way, if you try to put them to bed at our house without reading a blessing card, praying and singing, you will quickly and passionately be reminded. I prayed through a Psalm with the kids and blessed them while my husband was at the Library (Monday night); they were not sleeping when he got home and still asked their dad to bless them! I called them little blessing hogs! :-)

Through this little tradition and short time of worship with the kids, it has given me much to delight in God as I am consistently reminded of God's faithfulness, kindness and sufficiency as I read through these Bible blessings and pray and sing. Most every night I sing from 2 verses right out of Psalm 121. It is my children's favorite, must have song before bed and it one that I frequently go bed myself thinking about. Silas will cry out, "The moon doesn't hurt you Mom! God doesn't let it hurt you! Sing it!" Many years ago two people who used to attend my church wrote music to it. I truly wish I could find the tape with the song. Yes, that is how long ago it was, not a CD, a tape!

Psalm 121:5-6 The Lord watches over you, He is your defender, The sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night.

As I go to bed I thank you Father that you are guarding your people. You never cease from your sovereign care, even in the darkest night. You will never sleep nor slumber.

4 comments:

vinedresser said...

Would you be so kind to explain more about the blessing cards. I looked on John Piper's but didn't find any in the store or resources. Thank you.

Jasmine Aldrich said...

It is actually a booklet called, A Father's Guide to Blessing his Children, that the cards come with and it is sold from the Children Desiring God website. I am sorry, I thought it was on the regular DGM website. It is under parenting Resources and gives a synopsis of the purpose of this booklet. http://www.childrendesiringgod.org/

Jasmine Aldrich said...

Sorry, I have no idea how to link in the comments! haha :-)

vinedresser said...

Thank you very much. I will look into it further.
You are a inspiration in the hands of God. Bless you and have a great day.