Friday, January 15, 2010

Everything is going right...

This has been one of those months... you know the type. We've been plagued with car troubles (and a mechanic who thinks we're imagining things like grinding sounds and cold air blowing from our van's vents when there is supposed to be heat). We had lost mail, late mail, and opened mail (by someone other than us). We've been sick and gotten sicker. Hectic has been our daily routine. Tensions have been running high and so there has been added strife and seeking of forgiveness and so on. My computer (the information hub for our whole family) broke all of a sudden and the prognosis is grim. Add to all of that the deadline for having our house ready for our move within a few short weeks, money being tight, Ry starting back to school and still being unemployed, as well as the boys starting a new homeschooling curriculum. I'm sure you can understand how I might soon have a nervous twitch and a new habit of thumb sucking (it seems to help baby Gabriel!). I feel like I might just lose my mind one of these days!
Wait a minute though... didn't I say that everything is going right? [Pause]... [deep breath]... Just the other day I was encouraging a frustrated Austin (who felt unfairly disadvantaged because he didn't get a cool weapon when playing swords with his brothers/cousins) to take a moment to think about how blessed he really is. Here's what it sounded like: "Austin stop and think about this for a moment. God loves you! He sent Jesus to die for your sins so that you are now forgiven and you are God's child! Someday you will get to be in Heaven with Him! He's coming back to get you! He is so kind to us! That's the big scheme of things, but now consider today. Today you woke up from a comfy bed, you ate breakfast, and you put on warm clothing. You have parents who love you, you're surrounded by a family with lots of cousins who love you and you get to spend the day playing with them having fun. You are better off than most all of the people on earth! God has richly blessed you! Don't be discontent but rather praise God for how amazing His mercy and love toward you are. Be happy with what you have and be thankful for how God has been so kind to you!"
So the other day when I was feeling a little overwhelmed with all of the stuff I mentioned, I had a little talk with myself. "Betsy, you are so blessed! Thank You God for sending Jesus to be born as a man and endure all of the stuff that this life throws at us. Thank You Jesus for never sinning and for living perfectly with love and compassion! Thank You Jesus that You willingly suffered the punishment for my sin. Thank You that You would take all of my depravity upon Yourself so that I could have Your righteousness and know the Father through You! God, thank You for making me Your child! Thank You for all of Your promises and Your kindness toward me! Thank You for how You always meet our needs and You are so generous with us! Thank You for how You don't always give us what we want, because You know what is best! Thank You for the love that You pour out on us through family and friends and other believers and even through strangers! I am so amazed at Your grace toward me. Your tender care is so sweet to my soul. Your love is better than cars, castles, computers, coins and calm. I am loved by GOD so EVERYTHING is going right! "
A pastor (David Prince) that preached at chapel one week reminded us that complaining is blasphemous because we lie about the character and person of God saying that He isn't good enough or that what He has allowed to happen isn't worth making everything (no matter how awful) seem insignificant compared to the beauty of His glory. Complaining communicates that the gospel isn't really as glorious as God says it is. Wow... just thinking about that I'm convicted all the more. We are just so blessed! I will end with Psalm 63 in hopes that we might all be encouraged to praise God more and be content and joyful in Him, today, tomorrow and always!

Psalm 63

My Soul Thirsts for You
A Psalm of David, when he was in the wilderness of Judah.
1O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
2So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary,
beholding your power and glory.
3Because your steadfast love is better than life,
my lips will praise you.
4So I will bless you as long as I live;
in your name I will lift up my hands.

5My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food,
and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips,
6when I remember you upon my bed,
and meditate on you in the watches of the night;
7for you have been my help,
and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy.
8My soul clings to you;
your right hand upholds me.

9But those who seek to destroy my life
shall go down into the depths of the earth;
10they shall be given over to the power of the sword;
they shall be a portion for jackals.
11But the king shall rejoice in God;
all who swear by him shall exult,
for the mouths of liars will be stopped.

No comments: