Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Practical Theology for Women

I recently finished reading a book by a relatively unknown woman who authored one book. Her name is Wendy Alsup and she is a deaconess at Mars Hill Church in Seattle. She teaches theology to women at her church, although right now she mainly does so through her blog, Practical Theology For Women. I would encourage you to check it out.

The book I recently read is also called Practical Theology for Women. I found it to be precisely what the title proclaims. It is simply practical. If you are looking for something in depth or more technical, Wayne Grudem is your man. But if you want something short, in simple language, easy to understand with personal testimony and application weaved throughout, this is a good book to have and use for individual study and/or with a woman you are discipling. I would say, high school age through ancient old! :)

Wendy seems to have a deep passion for teaching women theology or about God because in her own words, " Truly, there is nothing like a good grasp of accurate knowledge about God to enable you to meet the practical demands of your life - the practical demands of being a daughter, mother, wife, sister, or friend."

Sisters, this so true! We react to trials and hardships with our health, finances, relationships, and jobs really based on what we believe about God. We might not always be conscious of it, but if we are trusting in the knowledge and faithfulness and sovereignty and compassion of an Almighty, Infinite, Eternal, Unchanging God, our reactions to the struggles of everyday life will be dealt with and viewed in such a way that the world around us will be perplexed at the peace and delight we display each day!

When I am discontent, angry and feeling self-pity because my husband can't find decent work, I'm struggling with my health, we work our butts off for the sake of the gospel (in our minds at least) with very little visible fruit, and the house seems to be falling apart faster than we can fix it... then there is something wrong in my theology, or my belief about God. My eyes are somewhere they don't belong (usually on myself), and I have no eternal vision for the Glory that is to come as I finally see my savior face to face. I'm not really believing Him and seeing Him for who He is!

So, I am glad I read this book. I'm glad God has chosen to reveal much about Himself through His word so that we would not be frustrated, lost people. And, I am looking forward to an eternity of God revealing more and more of who He is to me and those I call my brothers and sisters through Jesus Christ.

As a woman I can attest to the fact that sometimes deep study and reading theology books can seem overwhelming simply because it seems so time consuming and impractical when as ladies we live very practical lives: changing diapers, cooking meals, cleaning piles of dirty laundry (which some crazy friend of mine "likes" to do), scrubbing floors, showing hospitality, training children, helping with homework, paying bills, shopping, making beds, serving husbands, ministering in church and sometimes working time consuming and stress filled jobs.

What we need to learn is that theology-sound theology and ever growing theology causes us to live out our practical, everyday lives to the glory of God with true joy and fulfillment because we are ever growing in our love and knowledge of the One we do these things for!

For a review of her book from Discerning Reader, go here.

No comments: